Author Topic: D2-55 engine bearers  (Read 2129 times)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
D2-55 engine bearers
« on: April 25 2019, 18:44 »
I’m in the process of replacing the sail drive diaphragm on a B39 cruiser with the D2-55 engine. I need to move the engine at least 30mm forward to follow vp instructions for this job. The rear of the engine, the bell housing flange, stops against the engine bearers. Has anyone managed this job with the type of bearer setup I have without resorting to cutting the bearers to make sufficient space for the engine to move forward? Regards   

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: D2-55 engine bearers
« Reply #1 on: April 25 2019, 20:55 »
Looks like about 30mm already. You'll probably find enough wiggle room for the rest once you remove the bolts holding the diaphragm clamping ring down - there should be enough room there to move the saildrive and gearbox assembly forward far enough to get the shaft out, and then angle it away from the engine and lift it out of the hole.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: April 25 2019, 21:34 »
The image is deceptive. I measured just 15mm space when engine is at normal height, not jacked up on the rear blocks. I’m afraid I might do damage if I lift the engine from the rear which will allow it to move further forward. Perhaps if I undo all clamping ring bolts the gearbox will lift with the engine and then I can pull it back ?? It might work to remove but I think I will it will be difficult to re-assemble in reverse order.

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 27 2019, 22:57 »
Curious as to the age of your boat/ seal?

I keep reading owners not changing the saildrive gasket for over 15 years. And when they do the seal appears in good shape.

Just curious as I don’t intend of changing mine at the 7 year mark.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 27 2019, 23:14 »
I changed mine last year at 11 years old.
It looked perfectly fine when removed showing no signs of degradation at all.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: April 28 2019, 21:22 »
There was no option but to cut off the inner corners of the engine bearers to allow the engine to move forward far enough to uncouple the gearbox. The diaphragm (from 2005) looks like it’s just been installed!
There is some minor corrosion on the retaining plate owing to a leak from the sea water valve.
Next step will be removing the bell housing to inspect the damper plate as this is prime reason for this job.