Author Topic: Shower pump bilge  (Read 4500 times)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Shower pump bilge
« on: December 29 2017, 11:43 »
hi All

i used the shower for the first time today( in this boat.lol) and found water colleting in the shower tray. the bilge pump has a momentery push switch which stops the pump as soon as you stop pressing. as i only have two hands find this awkward. has anybody changed this to toggle or fiited a timer?

looking forward to your suggestions

regards

Abby

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Shower pump bilge
« Reply #1 on: December 29 2017, 11:51 »
Noelio, What does your 12v panel have? push buttons that activate the relays or rocker switches?

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #2 on: December 29 2017, 15:49 »
The push switches are a nuisance. I replaced mine in the first year with good quality toggle switches and waterproof rubber covers. Of course you must be careful to switch off, not that the noise the pump makes will ever let you forget!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: December 29 2017, 17:19 »
The push switches are a nuisance. I replaced mine in the first year with good quality toggle switches and waterproof rubber covers. Of course you must be careful to switch off, not that the noise the pump makes will ever let you forget!

That's what we've got (from factory I thought). Works well enough and the pump is a triple membrane pump that can safely run dry for extended time, so if don't mind the noise and power consumption you could just run it the entire time someone is showering.

We mostly use the transom shower instead though!  :kewl
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2017, 19:05 »
thanks

The switches are rocker on the panel. i think i will fit a toggle switch. Yngmar i would use the tramsom shower but in Brighton its Freezing cold. being on the tramson is a chalange of its own.

Happy new year to everyone
regards

Abby

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 29 2017, 21:33 »
Vision 46 has float switches in the shower tray accumulator box so it's automatic once the water starts to flow in. Previous two cruisers were as yours. Since we liveaboard for the winter I actually sometimes will turn off the drain pumps at the panel since we use the water in the shower tray for washing underwear and swimming togs too after we have washed ourselves to save water. This was more easy when I had the push switches on the Cruisers !
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Imagine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: December 30 2017, 09:40 »
I have replaced button that you have to keep finger on to a switch,which I find much better

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: December 30 2017, 15:15 »
hi All.

just ordered from Amazon a delay off 12 v timer, that you can set it to run the pump for say a minute after pressing the button.

it will arrive tomorrow and i will let you guys know how it works. if any body wants i can post the amazon link

regards

Abby

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: December 30 2017, 19:51 »

That's what we've got (from factory I thought). Works well enough and the pump is a triple membrane pump that can safely run dry for extended time, so if don't mind the noise and power consumption you could just run it the entire time someone is showering.

We mostly use the transom shower instead though!  :kewl

The pump isn't the original Bavaria one so may differ. For info it was replaced 22nd Aug 2014.

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: December 30 2017, 23:34 »
Hi Abby
I went down exactly this route.
I wasn't happy that the relay would handle the amps for the pump so also included a relay to handle the power requirement.
Fitted last summer - worked a treat.
Mike

Shine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 42
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #10 on: April 23 2019, 15:55 »
1. For those who have replaced the push button, what switch did you use? How has it worked out?
2. Has anyone tried to install a float switch? Is there even room under the shower?

I have a 42 ocean center cockpit.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #11 on: April 23 2019, 17:25 »
Preserve your water by boat shower technique.
Wet down. Turn off shower.shampoo and soap. Turn on and rinse off.
Shower tray not full so pump out.
If you shower like you do at home or in a marina you will soon run out of water

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #12 on: April 24 2019, 07:25 »
Haha ! Same problem but I leave it like that ... it creates subconscious economy behavior...

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #13 on: April 24 2019, 08:24 »
Haha ! Same problem but I leave it like that ... it creates subconscious economy behavior...
   Absolutely..!!   To be encouraged.
  (We have a NASA BM1 monitor that shows a frighteningly large number of Amps when it's running)