Author Topic: replacing a sail drive diaphram on a Bav 38 D1-30 eng S130 leg  (Read 2931 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Just got a call from my Volvo repair agent engaged to change the sail drive diaphragm.

Volvo agent claims he can't repair without removing woodwork.

My boat is a standard Bavaria 38 ( 2 cabin) manufactured in Dec 2009 but supposedly a 2010 model.

Is there any trick involved in taking out the sail drive

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: replacing a sail drive diaphram on a Bav 38 D1-30 eng S130 leg
« Reply #1 on: January 15 2019, 22:24 »
The saildrive leg with the propeller shaft in place has to be angled out a bit (gearbox tilting aft while lifting up), but there should be enough room for that.

If not, with the lower shaft housing and prop shaft removed (two bolts), the saildrive leg will come straight up. Unless there is insufficient room directly above the gearbox to lift it straight upwards until the leg comes out, which I find hard to believe, there is no way this requires removal of woodwork.

Can't tell for sure without looking at your boat, but it sounds like you should get a second opinion, or do the job yourself - it's not that difficult.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: January 16 2019, 06:03 »
It might just be that they need to remove the panel at the foot of the companionway in order to move the engine slightly forwards. On my B36(2002) this panel is designed to be easily removed, being held in place by six or eight long screws. With that out of the way it allows a bit more space to manoeuvre the engine during this operation, as well as easier access to the mounting bolts. But as Yngmar has said, there shouldn’t be any need to interfere with other woodwork.

I’m guessing that you are changing the diaphragm on account of Volvo’s seven year recommendation, and while there’s no harm in doing that (other than to your pocket !), when mine was last changed over winter 2010/2011, it was by then coming up for nine years old and was in absolutely perfect condition. It would seem from discussions elsewhere within the forum that Volvo’s recommendation is very conservative. The present diaphragm is now eight years old, but on the basis of the condition of the original diaphragm, this one is going to remain in service for many more years.

They will need to disconnect the wiring from the alternator to allow the engine to be moved, so it’s worthwhile getting a photograph of those wires to ensure they get reconnected correctly. The yard workmen reconnected mine incorrectly, but I noticed although not before running the engine for a few minutes. Fortunately I don’t think it did any damage as everything related to it seems to have worked properly ever since then.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 16 2019, 11:05 »
just the same at my 37CR 2006. I had to sew out a small peace of wood an re instal after replacing the sail drive. it was not possible to get the sail drive out without sewing.....

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: January 16 2019, 19:07 »
I changed my own on a B34 2000 which has less overhead room than yours.  Only had to remove companion way steps in order to move engine forward and then with prop off saildrive leg came through easily enough with a few ounces of common sense added.

Craig

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 16 2019, 21:37 »
Update on sail drive diaphragm replacement on Bav 38. (2010)

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I have been back to the boatyard and seen the issue for myself. I don't know if my issue is similar to the issues faced on other models of Bavarias. I think this may be an issue for the 2 cabin Bavaria 38s from about 2008 to 2011 only,  judging by your comments.

The diaphragm is only being replaced because the boat is more than 7 years old ( Volvo recommendation) and I'm looking at starting an RYA training school in the next few months. The old diaphragm has been removed and it is in perfect condition. The Volvo techs here on the Gold Coast have only seen damaged diaphragms where they were damaged by incorrect placing of lifting straps. A friend of mine, Bavaria agent in Malta has told me the story of a Bavaria in Malta that hit something so hard it broke the engine mounts and turned the engine 45 degrees. The diaphragm was not damaged.

In my Bav 38 there was no problem with moving the engine forward, possibly because I only have the smaller D1-30 engine.

The Volvo tech initially did not remove the propeller shaft and as a result the sail drive needs to be tilted backwards to fit through the hull. In this case, the woodwork in the aft cabin next to where the removable panels under where the mattress's fit was about 25mm ( 1 inch) too wide.

After Yngmar's suggestion and inspection of the boat, he agreed that the sail drive could be lifted vertically ( as opposed to tilting back) if the prop shaft was removed, however, the wood panel above this area has restricted space and he felt that shaving a small amount off the woodwork in the aft cabin would be easier.

Rather than argue and incur additional cost, I've had a small amount of wood shaved off as it is not structural.

I will change my mechanics as a result of this exercise. Bavaria's are not as common in Australia as they are in Europe and I think they just use the approach they use on other boats that have sail drives attached.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: February 26 2019, 04:35 »
Thank you for your information and comments. I too will be replacing my sail drive diaphragm on my 2005 Bav 36 (Volvo MD2030 with 130S-A sail drive). I am a bit worried about the room to lift and remove the drive as well. I have no access hatch on the starboard side as the head is in the rear starboard position.

A couple questions for other members who have done the job:
1. What is an estimated of the weight of the aluminium block with the prop shaft removed?
2. Any tips on moving the engine forward and securing the engine in place?
3. Or any tips in general about the process that you found you would do differently?

Thanks

Harvey
"Dance Lightly Too"
Nanaimo, BC
Canada

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: February 26 2019, 09:18 »
Put saildrive replacement into UTube they have excellent videos of this and look up a Brit on boat Britaly. He has done a very good video. Put Britaly into UTube.
Hope this helps

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Craig

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 26 2019, 23:01 »
Saildrive diaphragm was replaced a few weeks ago.

Apparently there are a few minor changes between the different Models.

In the end, a small strip of wood was cut out from the forward end of the aft cabin bunk. About 35mm (1 1/2 inch wide) . A small sacrifice to get the job done faster.

This timber is not load bearing and the hole made is much less than the " breather" holes elsewhere under the mattress.

I can't give any other tips as the mechanics completed the job when I wasn't there.

Given the comments on these forums and seeing the old diaphragm removed, I think the 7 year replacement time recommended by Volvo is excessive. Removing the saildrive did give me a chance to clean the growth from around the top of the leg.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia