Author Topic: Bav 30 Cruiser Rigging  (Read 2547 times)

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bav 30 Cruiser Rigging
« on: January 13 2019, 18:52 »
I intend to replace our Bavaria 30 Cruiser’s standing rigging this spring and have a few questions in preparation.

Do the fittings vary from boat to boat; I think the mast was amde by Seldon but will need to check.

Does anyone know what kind of end fitting is used to terminate the 7mm wire at the mast?
The lower end of the stays have stud fittings swaged onto them, any idea what size they are?

Any other hints and tips?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bav 30 Cruiser Rigging
« Reply #1 on: January 13 2019, 19:54 »
All Bavaria spars are made by Seldén, unless extremely old perhaps. Your 30 Cruiser's definitely is Seldén.

The mast fittings you can simply identify after unstepping, or by climbing/binoculars until then.

The size of the swaged studs is defined by the size of the wire rope. For some fittings there are a few where there are two choices for the opposite end, in which case you must use the one that fits your chainplate.

On some models of the mast step, there is a pin in the mast step, connecting the mast bottom with the step. This must be removed before unstepping, else you could end up tearing something out with the crane. Simply look under your mast and you'll find it.

Also obviously disconnect the mast wiring first and pull it up through the deck. Take photos/label things and then pack the connectors in something waterproof so they don't corrode while the mast sits in the yard.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Baddox

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: January 14 2019, 18:28 »
Thanks for the info. 
My plan is to re-rig whilst the mast is still up, mainly because the wiring for the lights, radar, VHF, etc are all nicely sealed and the deck glands are proven watertight.   I’d like them to remain that way and experience has taught me that it could be prudent to leave them unless really necessary

I wondered if the hounds were stem-ball or a T-fitting as they are difficult to see and it is unclear from the Selden website.  A trip up the mast may help to clarify, if not all will be revealed when I unhitch them.
At the lower end of the stays is a stud, several sizes are sold so I’ll need to measure them carefully if there isn’t a common size used.  Identifying the thread direction will be easy enough.

Irmascherkid

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
« Reply #3 on: January 24 2019, 21:01 »
Hi Baddox, I have just replaced all of my standing rigging 2 months ago and still have the old rigging for the moment, I can send you pictures of the end fittings if you want and it's 7/16 threads on the bottle screws. Im away at the moment but will be back later next week if you want the pictures.

Dave
Some places you can only reach by sea,
Some places you can only reach by being at sea.

Baddox

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: January 30 2019, 19:50 »
Hi Irmascherkid. Thanks for the offer and sorry for the slow reply, as I too have been away.

I've now been up the mast and removed the lower stays which have T-terminals at the mast and eyes at the chain plate.  The local chandler is slowly making up replacements for them.
Once they're fitted, I need to replace the cap shrouds, back and forestay so I’ll climb the mast to check the type of fittings there and measure the stays for size.  The plan is to change the rigging without unstopping the mast.

Any observations or tips on changing the forestay with roller reefing would be helpful.