Author Topic: Bavaria 42 Wiring from engine to batteries  (Read 2953 times)

Susan Margaret

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 42
Bavaria 42 Wiring from engine to batteries
« on: January 06 2019, 10:42 »
Has anyone needed to rewire from engine through to batteries on a Bavaria 42? Getting to the cables and understanding where they go and where they’re from is proving to be a considerable challenge. It almost seems that the wiring was done before installing the nav table.
Any hints or help (a diagram would be a good start) would be welcome.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Bavaria 42 Wiring from engine to batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 06 2019, 13:22 »
Why not just fit an eye to one end of the new cable and bolt it to the end of the old cable, then just pull it through?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 06 2019, 17:22 »
Why not just fit an eye to one end of the new cable and bolt it to the end of the old cable, then just pull it through?

I suspect that's easier said than done!

Susan Margaret

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 42
« Reply #3 on: January 07 2019, 05:33 »
Lots of cable ties!!! And I can’t see a way to get access behind the Nav station. Well, not without removing a whole lot of cabinetry. Maybe I’ll just have to run new cables and find an alternative route.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: January 09 2019, 07:57 »
I have no doubt that all wiring and piping is done prior to cabinets - good for production, good enough for charter companies that need the boat for only 5 years, a maintenance headache for us who keep the boats for many years.
I did not have to replace these cables but did need to run some new wires - I used an electricians "fish tape" and two people were required - one pushing it and sticking hands as deep as possible and one sticking hands as deep as possible on the other side trying to catch the tape - it requires pulling, pushing and wiggling since some times the tape reaches a "dead end".
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004