Author Topic: Portlight trims  (Read 4225 times)

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Portlight trims
« on: December 28 2012, 18:06 »
The chrome plating on the trims on the Rutgersen portlights in the saloon has started to breakdown, leaving them looking so tatty that even I am having to take notice of them.  I've searched the net and can find part numbers for them but cannot identify a supplier - all the Rutgersen site does is to refer me elsewhere.  Anyone any idea of where I might be able get hold of some replacements?

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Portlight trims
« Reply #1 on: December 30 2012, 14:34 »
I'm not sure if you want a do it yourself project.  I refinished all of my Rutgerson trim rings on Valkyrie.  It was a spring time project before launch.  They were all pitted.   They are only plastic inner trim rings so be careful if you do.  I sanded them as smooth as I could.  It wasn't that hard just a little time consuming.  Then I primed the plastic, let it dry and put on a couple coats of metalic silver spray paint.  I think the brand was outdoor Rustolium.  I was hesitant when I started the project but a few years later they still look great.    Rutgerson is impossible to deal with or even contact.   I originally wanted to do what you suggest and buy new trim rings.  PLEASE let me know if you find anyone that actually sells parts for these things.  I wanted to pick up a few extra acrylic window replacements. They are great ports but I know eventually I'll need to replace a window glass and would like to have one vs having to cut one. 

good luck.  contact me if you have any questions.  I  might even have pictures laying around.  I used to take pics of each stage of my projects.  old habit.