Author Topic: Leaking portholes  (Read 3526 times)

ejessen

• Second Mate
  • 2001 Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
Leaking portholes
« on: December 11 2018, 20:59 »
I have a 2001 Bavaria 40 AC.

Some of the portholes have started to leak (see picture) and I am thinking I need to replace the rubber seal.

Does anyone know the brand/size/part number of the rubber seal?

Thanks
-- Erik

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Leaking portholes
« Reply #1 on: December 11 2018, 21:35 »
If they are Bavaria portlights, the portlight designation code is imprinted into the plastic close to the perimeter of the plastic. You will probably need to open one or more of the portlight to find and see the imprint. It’s not always very clear and hence the need to check more tha one of them.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: December 11 2018, 21:46 »
Not a very good shot of them, but if they open, the exterior frame is stainless and says Rutgerson on it - well, then, they're Rutgerson ones.

The seals on all of ours (same age as yours) are still good, although on some I had to tighten up the bolts holding the inner and outer frame together. Are you sure it's the seal that is leaking?

Spares available direct from Rutgerson or distributors: https://www.rutgerson.se/product-category/portlights/accessories-spare-parts/ (but I don't see seals there).

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

ejessen

• Second Mate
  • 2001 Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40AC
« Reply #3 on: December 11 2018, 22:48 »
Good call Yngmar - I'll go through and tighten the bolts. Also, I will clean/lubricate the seal and maybe I'll get a few more years of use out of them!

Thanks
-- Erik

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 12 2018, 04:02 »
If they are Bavaria portlights, the portlight designation code is imprinted into the plastic close to the perimeter of the plastic. You will probably need to open one or more of the portlight to find and see the imprint. It’s not always very clear and hence the need to check more tha one of them.

Sorry, I meant to say if they are Lewmar portlights etc., not Bavaria !!
Note that Lewmar use aluminium frames, and while the seal rubber remains the same, should you decide to change the acrylic portlights, that there have been some changes made involving the size of the hinges and catches and of the small aluminium brackets those hinges and catches connect to such that what might seemingly start off as an easy job turns into an expensive one that you may wish you hadn’t started.
If it is just the seal rubbers that are leaking, you could try cleaning them with soapy water and once they are clean then smear the rubber with a thin coating of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) before closing the portlight. Doing that occasionally can often provide a temporary cure lasting several months.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 13 2018, 14:00 »
NEVER use Vaseline or any petroleum jelly on rubber seals.  It hardens the rubber.

Use silicone grease.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 13 2018, 18:10 »
NEVER use Vaseline or any petroleum jelly on rubber seals.  It hardens the rubber.

Use silicone grease.

I can’t say that I’ve noticed any hardening of the seal rubber after nine years, but whatever takes your fancy and doesn’t wash off with the first rain shower.

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: December 13 2018, 22:31 »
Erik... could I ask you a question,

I have been trying to find out what make of hull port holes are installed on you Bav..

I want to install the same on my b34 2000, and I am struggling to find any info, ie that will fit within the moulded hull contour - mine is 155mm high... The hull glass layup is already prepared for them, I guess they were an optional extra from new.

Would you see if there is any markings on yours.

I have already tried Bavaria, SVB and pretty much every other port hole manufacturer I can find on the web.

thank you in advance. Jeff

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #8 on: December 19 2018, 22:09 »
We had a leaking ( opening ) hull portlight when we bought our 2001 bav 34.
On unbolting it I found that the foam seal was twisted.
I replaced it with a slightly thicker foam and have had no problems since.
To make it easier you will need a couple of G clamps to hold everything close enough to get the bolts to connect.
Alternatively get a length of stud and nuts long enough to compress the inner lining etc to get the fiexed length bolts back in.
Tricky but relatively easy