Author Topic: Replace seawater pump?  (Read 1988 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Replace seawater pump?
« on: April 20 2022, 06:24 »
I traced some oil and water leakage to my D2-55F’s seawater pump.
When I removed the cover of the pump I noticed that apparently somebody used a screwdriver to pry out the impeller which left visible marks on the pump around the o-ring. See image for details. Or what else would cause these?
The ring and the current impeller still look good but I think the cover may no longer seal the entire area, hence the water intake.
As for the oil I reckon it is the ring between pump and engine.

I consider replacing the entire pump including shaft and rings. What would you recommend?
Also: is changing the pump going to flood my engine compartment with a nasty mixture of oil and water?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Replace seawater pump?
« Reply #1 on: April 20 2022, 07:40 »
For the pump you get every single part, sometimes you might get cheaper after market parts, so there is usually no need to change the whole pump.

To solve your problems:
1) Rinse the seawater circuit and replace seawater with tap water.
First open the seawater strainer and fill it up with tap water to displace the seawater through the saildrive leg.
Then close the seawater cock at the saildrive.
Start the engine with open seawater strainer and replacing the water level in the strainer as the seawater pumps sucks it through the engine to replace all seawater with tap water. Always keep the water level above strainer level. Don't run the seawater pump dry. 10 liters of tap water should be enough to rinse the whole sea water circuit

2) Servicing pump
The cover of the pump should be perfectly even without any traces of wear and tear. If one side is brittle, you can turn the cover inside out (and remove the paint from the outside first with a light sanding). Replace the O-ring, giving it a light smear of silicone grease. The marks around the O-ring on the pump body should not be a problem.
To remove the impeller use a special tool and not a screw driver.
It is useful to remove the lowest step of the companion way to get good access to the pump.
If there are leaks  on the back side of the pump (seawater or oil) you need to remove the pump from the engine. There are 2 sealing rings (one for oil on engine side, another one on pump side for sea water), which can be replaced. Check the pump shaft for wear on the position of the seals and replace the shaft if necessary. At the engine side there are two bearings, which could be changed.
I did the repair of the pump when my motor oil was drained, so i don't really know, if you can remove the pump without spilling the engine oil.
After reassembly of the pump renew the outer surface with the green VP paint to give everything a nice look
Before you start with this job i suggest you to study the service manual and the spare part drawings provided by VP.
The whole job is pretty straight forward and no rocket science. 

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 20 2022, 08:11 »
Thanks for the elaborate answer.
Why would I rinse the pump with tap water first?

Using your hints I found this maintenance kit for the pump: https://www.motorenservice-stralsund.de/product_info.php?language=de&info=p906_reparatursatz-seewasserpumpe-fuer-volvo-penta-d2-55-und-d2-75.html

I think this would be a good starting point.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 20 2022, 09:56 »
Your last photo shows the typical signs of the internal seals leaking. The hole with the staining round it is called a "witness" hole as it is there specifically to indicate failure of the seals. Seal replacement is quite straightforward once the pump is off. Make sure you assemble them with the seals the right way round and if you buy generic seals they should have stainless springs. No need to run fresh water through. The pump is not connected to anything else and is above the level of the oil in the sump so nothing will come out when you remove it.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 20 2022, 16:30 »
Thanks for the info. I’m currently looking into which repair kit to order. Prices vary between €60 and €180. Not sure where to order.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 20 2022, 21:48 »
Your last photo shows the typical signs of the internal seals leaking. The hole with the staining round it is called a "witness" hole as it is there specifically to indicate failure of the seals. Seal replacement is quite straightforward once the pump is off. Make sure you assemble them with the seals the right way round and if you buy generic seals they should have stainless springs. No need to run fresh water through. The pump is not connected to anything else and is above the level of the oil in the sump so nothing will come out when you remove it.

@Symphony2 quick question about the shaft: how is it assembled into the engine block? Looking at the image attached it seems to have a thread. I would remove the four screws and then what?

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 20 2022, 22:01 »
Ah, wait. Found it. This video and the referenced one are showing it nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONMOj2QYdvQ

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 21 2022, 13:30 »
I found a spare impeller on board. Original Volvo part. It includes the gasket as shown in the attached image. However, I cannot find a place to fit it. The pump lid only has an o-ring. What is it for?

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: April 21 2022, 13:53 »
looks like your pump has been fitted with a quick change cover, speed fit or that type, same as ours has, only 4 thumbscrews hold it on and the o ring seals instead of a gasket. change the impeller
and re use the o ring with some silicone grease on it.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 21 2022, 13:55 »
Yeah, it has four screws, correct. But it doesn't appear to be an aftermarket part. Anyway, good to know I can stop searching where to put this gasket :-)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: April 22 2022, 14:11 »

How useful, I've been noticing a little water under my D2-55 - I will check my "witness" hole! Thanks for posting

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 22 2022, 14:17 »
Indeed super useful! The forum is amazing!

I decided to address the issue with the water pump by replacing the pump with an after market product. This can easily be done on the boat.
Then, I'll take the original one home and give it a complete overhaul using a repair kit. It will then go back on the boat as a spare part for myself or another sailor in need.

I'll update this thread with more infos.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #13 on: April 25 2022, 18:20 »
the speed fit part is only the outer cover, not the whole pump body, I've a few 6 hole gaskets lying around, suppose if the o ring gives up then i could revert back to standard face plate. I've seen it somewhere  ;)