Author Topic: Leak or Condensation?  (Read 4291 times)

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
Leak or Condensation?
« on: November 05 2018, 19:06 »
In my forward cabin under bed space, I am getting a very small amount of fresh water, not enough to think that the water tank is leaking - but enough to be annoying.

I am wondering if the under bed space (given its a cold area with direct exposure to a cold water tank and the hull) suffers from condensation? Having just fitted a complete heating solution the boat is now a lot warmer and quite possibly causing an increased issue in this space.

I'm also trying to work out where a leak is coming from that places a tiny amount in the central bilge (but nowhere else) again fresh water - is there a check list of go-to leaky areas? (I've checked forward water tank pump and replaced).

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Leak or Condensation?
« Reply #1 on: November 05 2018, 20:58 »
In my forward cabin under bed space, I am getting a very small amount of fresh water, not enough to think that the water tank is leaking - but enough to be annoying.

I am wondering if the under bed space (given its a cold area with direct exposure to a cold water tank and the hull) suffers from condensation? Having just fitted a complete heating solution the boat is now a lot warmer and quite possibly causing an increased issue in this space.

I'm also trying to work out where a leak is coming from that places a tiny amount in the central bilge (but nowhere else) again fresh water - is there a check list of go-to leaky areas? (I've checked forward water tank pump and replaced).

Your recently fitted “complete heating solution” may well be the problem, or it might be a bit of a red herring depending on exactly how it has been fitted. Do you have any heating pipes passing through the under bed space? If yes, then condensation might be the problem. If you have no heating pipes going through that area then it’s most likely to be fresh water leakage from,
1. A leaking rail stanchion base,
2. A leak from the forward cold water storage tank,
   2a. A leak from the cold water pipe connection to the tank,
   2b. A leak from the tank lid seal perhaps not sealing, lid not shut tight,
3. A leak in way of one of the deck fittings, though that should also make the bunk cushions wet as well.

You don’t say which boat you have or the year in which it is built, or how your recently fitted heating system relates to the area where you have found fresh water, so it’s difficult to be specific about the most likely cause.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: November 05 2018, 22:17 »
I'm going with A. The rest have been checked and cushions are bone dry.

The forward cabin now for the first time has a nice warm atmosphere and I correlated warm humans sleeping on a cold damp space likely to cause a bit of moisture, in that area its such a small amount it just felt like condensation when I touched the insides of the storage area.

I'll investigate the stanchion fittings, probably moved a bit since 2003. B36.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 06 2018, 00:05 »
Common place for leaks forward is the aft pulpit base, particularly where the cable to the bow light goes. Also the feed from the fresh water filler to the tank is difficult to access and on my boat of similar age was poorly attached to the spigot.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 06 2018, 04:38 »
I'm going with A.

“A” .  .  .  ?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: November 06 2018, 06:46 »
My "water below the forward bunk" root cause has not been up yet - so check that one also:

In my case, the anchor locker bottom, or actually the bottom edges - right around the drain holes - had a leak leading to below the forward bunk.

In most cases that resulted in fresh rainwater build-up, but when sailing close-hauled in big seas I had tens of liters of seawater not only below the bunk, but also migrated to other areas of the bilge.

Quite easy to test - Have person #1 crawl under the bunk with a flashlight while person #2 throws a bucket of water in the anchor locker.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: November 06 2018, 07:02 »

Quite easy to test - Have person #1 crawl under the bunk with a flashlight while person #2 throws a bucket of water in the anchor locker.

.....make sure you're person #2  :))

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 06 2018, 08:51 »
Thoroughly dry the area, then line it with sheets of kitchen paper.  Wait till it rains, or fill water tank, or go for a sail or employ several buckets of seawater.  The paper will show up where any water is tracking from.  In our case it was a leaking window (all our leaks so far have been windows)
I doubt the air is warm enough to condense below the bunk, so if it is condensate it would most likely be running down from above and should show evidence using the paper.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: November 07 2018, 18:28 »
I'm going with A.

“A” .  .  .  ?

Ok I'm going with "1" then  ;D

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: November 07 2018, 18:29 »
I'll send the Hobbit down there this weekend and chuck some buckets around.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 07 2018, 20:58 »
Checking out the stanchion bases is a two person job, and initially and before you can get near the fastenings you have to remove the portable sections of plywood from the top and rear of the side cupboards. There are two screws in each, and if they have not been removed for a while, it’s likely the screws will have rusted. If my B36(2002) is anything to be guided by, the screws used were not stainless, just ordinary mild steel. Also once you can get at the ends of the stanchion base bolts, you’ll find it useful to have some extra deep sockets to accommodate the length of the bolts. Also suggest you tie a thin line to any tools you use behind those cupboards to prevent the tools from getting lost behind the cupboards by mistake.
Sometimes you can see the undersides of where the stanchion bases are bolted through, most often it’s a matter of feeling for them, so good luck with that. I’ve done all of my stanchion bases and reseated them on butyl tape rather than some kind of sealant from a tube. Butyl tape is self adhesive, it doesn’t harden, it is long lasting, and the excess can be trimmed off afterwards with a sharp knife. Most importantly there hasn’t been any leakage from any of the stanchion bases since they were dealt with more than three years ago.

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: November 08 2018, 17:39 »
I've currently got all the cupboard inners out as I was wiring in some new cables for the windlass, so that's a bonus!

Butyl tape - is the sealant of the gods, I switched to it a couple years ago after folks on YBW suggested it. I have a roll that I'm still working my way through after 2 years!

I will see how I get on.

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #12 on: November 08 2018, 18:07 »
I've currently got all the cupboard liners out as I was wiring in some new cables for the windlass, so that's a bonus!

New member here—I've got the exact same projects: windlass rewiring and stanchion sealing.

I didn't see it leak but the cupboard had a surprising amount of water in it. I suspect most leaks are like that, eh?

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 09 2018, 06:08 »
Sitesurfer and Semaphore, can one of you start a new thread and explain why you think you need to re-wire your windlass. It may be that readers can provide guidance on that subject, but it should be done under a separate specific thread rather than getting mixed up with this one. I’ve done some partial re-wiring of my windlass in the past, and I know others have, but there may be aspects of the job that you need to know.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #14 on: November 09 2018, 07:54 »
Might be unrelated to your leak problem but on our B32 we had an annoying leak in the starboard cupboards in the forward cabin. Thought it was sanctions but on removal of cupboard linings there was no evidence of water ingress from them.  Anyway, to cut a long story short eventually discovered the leak was from the forward deck hatch. The hinge was quite tight and when opening/closing it the frame would twist a little. We guess that over time this twisting has weakened the seal around the fitting and allowed water to enter between the coach roof and the ceiling lining. As we have found in the past, water can travel a long way from its source.
So, we removed the hatch and frame, cleaned it and then resealed the frame. We also loosened and lubricated the hinge to stop the twisting. Since then we haven't had any further problems.