Author Topic: Frige  (Read 2845 times)

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Frige
« on: October 23 2018, 04:18 »
I believe our 2003-36' has a standard ice box. I'm curious whether someone has had success in updating the feon? Thanks

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Frige
« Reply #1 on: October 23 2018, 04:47 »
When I bought my B36(2002) second hand in 2010, part of the deal was that the cool box had a new cooling unit. This consisted of a new cooling plate within the cool box, the connecting pipework and a new refrigeration compressor which was located under the port side settee. It worked fairly well, but one of the pipes chafed against the edge of a hole cut through the plywood and eventually leaked all the gas out in 2015. The refrigeration equipment was removed and taken to a refrigeration engineer who found the leak, soldered it up and refilled the system with the required refrigerant gas. I refitted the whole assembly, and it has worked reasonably well ever since. As for the hole through the plywood settee base, well that was plugged around the pipe with rubber foam to prevent the pipe from chafing. Also I’ve fitted some self adhesive half inch thick closed cell polyurethane foam to the inside of the cool box which helps to keep it cool, though while that remains a work in progress, the coolbox keeps the contents cool enough for me, but still runs a bit too often.

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 23 2018, 05:01 »
I'll have to move this up the list of things to do... I have it hauled and noticed some melt as water was setting in the bottom. Perhaps, fridge was too cool at one point?
I should just follow your posts and gain knowledge from what you've come across.
Cheers.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 23 2018, 05:09 »
It was less expensive for me to remove and subsequently replace the refrigeration equipment after it had been repaired rather than get the refrigeration engineer out to the boat. They were based about fifty miles away, and their call out charge would have been horrendous.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 26 2018, 13:05 »
A "standard" upgrade for the Caribbean is to replace the fan box cooling system (not very cold in warm climates) with refrigeration plates similar to Salty's description.

My Vision 46 has a top loading box which now has a refrigeration plate running round three sides and this continues into the second top/front loading cool box along the back wall of the fridge, separated by a clear plastic wall so we end up with a very cool (almost freezer) compartment and a cool box compartment useful for veggies etc.

It is relatively easy to fit since it is one complete plate which can be bent to shape with one in and one out pipe down to the compressor fitted under the fridge unit which can be accessed through the cupboard under the stove unit.

I have had a Cruiser 42 and a Cruiser 35 also refitted/upgraded in the same way.  Hope it helps. I am not on my boat until December but can send photos once I get there if needed.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #5 on: October 26 2018, 18:05 »
In my B35E after nearly 20 years the fan cooling box became excessively noisy and inefficient, the compressor was working too frequently while the fridge was never very cold. (We are in the Med and summer is pretty warm).
Nothwitstanding the age the compressor was in good shape and the engineer said it would last for another 20 years. His suggestion was to install a properly sized plate which was bent U shape upon installation.
The hole where pipes enter the cool box was filled with silicon, all pipes were insulated the hinged cover gasket replaced.
Last summer we had very cold beer to drink and compressor running approx. 25-30 % of the time.
Cheers
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997