Author Topic: Saildrive oil is white and missing anode  (Read 2921 times)

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Saildrive oil is white and missing anode
« on: October 15 2018, 02:33 »
Unfortunately, I have somewhat different problem. My oil is white. I changed it 4 times. Now, its somewhat more gray. Isn't there another drain plug on the sail drive? I anticipate hauling my boat. And, I had hoped I could drain all the oil out and inspect o-ring.
Second, I don't know where the zincs are installed on my s drive? Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Roland
36 Bavaria 2003

WAArete

• Second Mate
Re: Saildrive oil is white and missing anode
« Reply #1 on: October 15 2018, 02:45 »
I had a recent diver report that he didn't see any zincs. Can someone assist me as to where they go... and some sort of model id.
As for 120-S ... I'm not sure as to which sub class. My surveyor only gave me reverse gear info off the md2030-D BT..
 Thanks

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 15 2018, 09:03 »
Welcome to the forums. In the future, please make a new thread unless your subject is about the same problem. I've split and merged your posts into this thread for you.

As for your saildrive, you need to identify the model, which is written on a handy type label on the top of the gearbox/saildrive unit, in the engine compartment.

On the 120S, the anode is a ring anode that goes after of the saildrive housing and in front of the propeller, like so (the shiny silvery thing is the anode):

If your oil is white, you have water in it, so you need to identify where that came from. The most common cause are perished seals at the prop shaft, so you need to remove the prop shaft and inspect them. There might also be wear on the shaft itself. On the 120 models, the oil drain plug is at the bottom of the leg, outside the boat, so you need to haul out (which guessing from your other posts, you need to do anyways).
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

WAArete

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: October 16 2018, 04:00 »
Thanks, I feel like this all came upon me so quickly. Mid summer I was worried about waxing and topside. When, I ought to have been pro-active. Thanks, for the photo and advice.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 26 2018, 01:46 »
Last summer I also had milky colored oil. I pulled the boat from the water and found fishing line had wrapped around the prop and more importantly around the backside of the prop. The line worked its way in destroying the integrity of the seals allowing saltwater into the leg.

I drained the oil. Flushed as best I could and replaced the seals. (I had a car mechanic with a proper hydraulic press do the delicate work on the shaft.)  Works great.

WAArete

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: October 26 2018, 03:42 »
Turns out, I had a nylon fitting unseat itself and changed o rings.