Author Topic: Volvo Penta D1-30F part not available in Australia  (Read 2011 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Volvo Penta D1-30F part not available in Australia
« on: October 18 2018, 01:01 »
I'm horrified by the Volvo Penta dealership  in Australia.

I have a Volvo Penta D1-30F, new in 2010 and I think, still the latest model Volvo in this size. They are a common engine. According to Volvo, the D1-30 has a lot of variations in springs and minor items between the D1-30 (a,b,c,d,e,f)

I engaged the local ( Gold Coast) Volvo Penta authorised repair dealer to fix some oil leaks, mainly leaking gaskets. When removing the timing cover he stretched the spring ( part number 21193276).

Volvo do not have a replacement spring anywhere in Australia. They claim that there is a 3 week delivery time to get the part from Europe!!!! and I have students booked from Saturday onwards.

Has anyone had this problem and found another part somewhere. I'm about to get the part and try the Motor Vehicle Parts dealers in case they have a similar type of spring.

Not Happy Jan ( Australian expression meaning I'm upset)

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Volvo Penta D1-30F part not available in Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 18 2018, 08:21 »
When I had difficulty sourcing a 'rare' spring I measured it for overall dimensions and this company were able to supply: https://www.assocspring.co.uk/
Whilst I appreciate they are UK based you may try locally for the same solution. Alternately, they may be able to despatch quickly to you in Aus  :-\

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 18 2018, 13:24 »
Try a Perkins dealer. The base engine is a Perkins which is used in industrial and and agricultural machinery. Surprised your Volvo dealer does not know this.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 18 2018, 23:11 »
Thanks for the advice.

The Volvo repairer has obtained a spring from a wrecked engine.

I am horrified that the Volvo Spare parts in Australia don't stock this part. I have since found out that the spring is used in every D1-13 up to the D2-40 engines.

The mechanic stretched the spring when removing the cover. This is a trap for unsuspecting players. I ca see how easy it was to make this mistake. The boat is being repaired as I type.

So, a happy ending for me, but a big worry about obtaining Volvo Spares quickly.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia.