Author Topic: Water tanks, empty or full?  (Read 3140 times)

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
Water tanks, empty or full?
« on: October 13 2018, 19:05 »
We are based in the Med near Côte d'Azur, this year for the first time we shall not use the boat much during coldest months from December to February, perhaps just for a few hours sailing every couple of weeks.
As we shall not sleep aboard we do not expect to use any tap water,
My questions is about the water tanks (2x150 liters) shall I leave them empty or full with some bleach to prevent growth?
Any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers
Oliver
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Water tanks, empty or full?
« Reply #1 on: October 14 2018, 06:42 »
I just leave water in mine when the boat isn't used much.  I don't notice much difference for a short period.  We don't drink the tank water (use bottled).  But it's used for washing ourselves and the dishes.  A little bleach won't hurt much, other than smell a bit like a swimming pool. 

Which leads me to a side story:  growing up in Southern California, I was on the high school water polo team.  But what with having blond hair, it always had a green glow from the chlorine!  This was before punk took root.  I looked silly, but it didn't kill me.  I think....
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: October 14 2018, 10:10 »
We empty our tanks but the boat is on the hard for 5/6 months.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 14 2018, 18:05 »
We leave her on the hard in Grenada for 7 months in the summer.

Always full tanks with a capful of bleach (or Milton baby bottle sterilizer also works). Empty the tanks when you launch and then rinse and refill. No problems in 5 years of doing this.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: October 14 2018, 19:53 »
We are based in the Med near Côte d'Azur, this year for the first time we shall not use the boat much during coldest months from December to February, perhaps just for a few hours sailing every couple of weeks.

Hi Oliver,
Be aware that winter in the north part of the Mediterranean is not always as benign as you might think, indeed some of the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced was in Livorno on the west coast of Italy in the early 1990s. At that time the heating system in the hotel where I was staying could not cope with the low temperature, and neither could the heating system in the shipping agents car.
In order to get warm I had to go out to the shops and stand under the heated warm air curtain at the shop entrance. At night I would turn in fully clothed and with all of the blankets and bedding in the room folded double and pulled around me in order to keep warm. The city utilities were loading sea water into whatever tank vehicles they had and were spraying sea water onto the roads in the hope that it would melt the frozen and compacted snow and ice, though I suspect that it was simply making a bad situation worse.
The point is that you need to watch the temperatures carefully and ensure that your boat is appropriately winterised whenever you are likely to be away from it, and don’t forget to remove the shower head from your deck shower. While your boat remains in the water, it is fairly unlikely that onboard temperatures will drop below that of the sea water, but it’s not guaranteed.
Here in the UK, I’ve fitted pole heaters in way of the calorifier and also in way of the fresh water pump and tank changeover valves, and I keep a daily watch on the weather forecasts. Fortunately I live within a forty minute drive of where the boat is kept over winter, so can react to most weather situations before they become a disaster.

mcanderson

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Sport Hardtop 37
« Reply #5 on: October 15 2018, 07:03 »
As we shall not sleep aboard we do not expect to use any tap water,
My questions is about the water tanks (2x150 liters) shall I leave them empty or full with some bleach to prevent growth?
Any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers
Oliver

Hi,

We are based at Beaulieu sur Mer on the Côte d’Azur and never empty our tanks of fresh water. We have been there for 5 years and never had a problem.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: October 15 2018, 14:26 »
Based in Plymouth with boat in water all year except for month of March and seldom used November to April Leave tanks full when in water but empty on haul out. The risk on hard standing is probably wind chill than absolute temperature.

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #7 on: October 15 2018, 16:52 »
Thanks to all for sharing your experience with me.
ATB
Oliver
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997