Author Topic: Bunk Covers  (Read 3331 times)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
Bunk Covers
« on: October 08 2018, 21:39 »
The covers in the rear bunks are water stained after someone left the window open!!

Has anyone tried unzipping the covers from the foam and taking them home for a gentle wash, maybe a simple question but if i shrink them then it could be an expensive mistake.

Thanks
Derek

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bunk Covers
« Reply #1 on: October 08 2018, 22:10 »
Has anyone tried unzipping the covers from the foam and taking them home for a gentle wash, maybe a simple question but if i shrink them then it could be an expensive mistake.

Thanks
Derek

Yes, I’ve done it a couple of times, washed them on a cool wash, then spin dried on maximum speed and finally hung out to dry. I’d recommend using minimum wash heat, and to avoid tumble drying as I think that those processes might cause the covers to shrink too much.

My covers did shrink a little, and the foam fought back when the covers were re-fitted. I think that the covers have since stretched and the mattresses look ok now. Be prepared for a hard fight when re-fitting the covers, best if you have some help when you do the job.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 08 2018, 22:44 »
We washed (and re-dyed) ours, at 40°C. No problems, other than picking apart the seat cushions to remove the plastic rod was a lot of annoying fiddly work, and putting it back in after. No tumble dryer of course. Someone here also recommended fitting them back on while they're still wet for less shrinkage.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 09 2018, 04:08 »
P.S. Also remember to lubricate the zips to get them to run easily, but be a bit sparing with the lubricant.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 09 2018, 09:41 »
To put foam back in covers is made much easier if you get a thin dry clean type plastic bag put foam in it then put foam in cover it slips in easy.  Then rip plastic off foam.

Thats the way the proffestionals do it, and  it works.

Hope this helps

Odysseus
Back 38
Odysseus

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: October 09 2018, 15:32 »
To put foam back in covers is made much easier if you get a thin dry clean type plastic bag put foam in it then put foam in cover it slips in easy.  Then rip plastic off foam.

Hope this helps

Odysseus
Back 38

Why don't they teach us these kind of tricks in school?? Instead they teach us to solve x and y values, completly useless stuff  ;)

I have always had a bit of a struggle with the covers! But from now on it will be a completly new story. Thanks!

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 09 2018, 16:00 »

Hope this helps

Odysseus
Back 38

Ok, but ‘er indoors’ sez you have to be very sure of removing all of the plastic, cos otherwise wots left squeaks with every movement, but thanks Bill and Linda for the tip.

Ronald

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2018
« Reply #7 on: October 10 2018, 16:03 »
Of.. rent a carpet vacuüm cleaner with a furniture set.
Cost 15 euro or so for a day,  bottle of carpet cleaner an use that to clean.

You will be surprised how well that works.

Did all my cushions 2 years ago and everyone complemented me on the result.. before the treatment they looked ready for disposal

Ronald.