Author Topic: Problems with the Jefa autopilot DU-TS 8-12  (Read 5400 times)

Conralph

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vison 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Problems with the Jefa autopilot DU-TS 8-12
« on: August 17 2018, 14:02 »
The autopilot system (Garmin with Jefa transmission drive) reports the error "recalibrate rudder feedback sensor". Even if the autopilot is recalibrated, this message comes back very quickly. The system is 3 years old. The device is now at Jefa for review. (the rudder feedback sensor is included in the transmission drive). Jefa is very helpful solving the problem.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

Ralph
Vision 42

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Problems with the Jefa autopilot DU-TS 8-12
« Reply #1 on: August 21 2018, 16:58 »
I have the same model in my Vision 46.

So far no problem but I will be interested in your feedback on the fix for the problem. I live aboard through the winter and like to carry spare parts for problematic systems.

Please let me know what the fix was by Jefa if you can.

Many thanks
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Alphadug

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
« Reply #2 on: August 21 2018, 19:02 »
Hi, We have a similar problem with our V42. We get the recalibrate error or a "rudder out of travel" error, then the autopilot locks the helm hard over to starboard. The whole scenario starts with the wheels oscillating back and forth. Can't leave the helm for fear of the boat turning a very sharp right turn. Anyone had the same problem with the hard turn?

Doug

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 21 2018, 19:09 »
Doug,

does this happen on calm days or when it is really windy and rough, or both? 

I have had this happen on rough, windy crossings when the autopilot basically cannot keep up with the to and fro off the waves and the boat becomes overpowered and then the weather helm becomes too much so the rudder is hard over or "out of travel" as the error message says. Doesn't happen in normal operation though...

I will watch out for this phenomenon as well.
Ian

Conralph

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: August 23 2018, 13:57 »
Jefa has a top service.

Jefa send us a manual to tested the the pilot system. We have tested it and sometimes the error was detected and sometimes everything was ok. We send the system to Jefa and one week later it comes back. Jefa replaced the rudder feedback sensor.

Last weekend we sailed 8 hours without a problem. Before, the mistake did not come constantly on every trip. In the next weeks we will test ist again.

Ralph

Alphadug

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: August 23 2018, 16:06 »
Ian,
The problem occurs when motoring in calm seas. Everything appears fine then WHAM the helm locks over.

Doug

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 23 2018, 18:09 »
Thanks Doug,

Seems like you may have the same problem with rudder feedback sensor. I may well order a spare for mine just in case.
Ian

Conralph

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: August 23 2018, 19:22 »
Yes we have also the Problem in calm sea not in rough sea. We hope the new sensor correct the problem.

In the attachment the Manual from Jefa

Ralph

Steve Smith

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria34
  • Boat Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: August 24 2018, 23:45 »
Hello
I had the same problem on my 2017 cruiser 34, it happened on the journey after collecting the boat from Southampton back to my home port. I had conversations with Garmin they explained this is a known problem, the jefa rudder sensor embed in the motor assembly is potentiometer, the signal from this can become noisy (electrically), and causes problems with the Garmin system. My system was under warranty and due to time constraints  on exchanging the unit my system was upgraded with a Garmin rudder sensor (GRF 10   ). This uses a magnetic sensor that is far more stable.
There is a standard mod information that Bavaria can supply to convert to the Garmin sensor using the existing jefa motor. This cured the problem, I am now in the 2nd season without problem having completed 2500nm.

Conralph

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: September 04 2018, 15:52 »
So now we have sailed 200sm and for a long time under engine. The autopilot is OK again. Let's see how long. The sensor was defective. It's really a potentiometer.

Steve you're right, I have also looked at the Garmin sensor, I have only seen no possibility of installing it into the steering linkage.

Jefa has done the repair for free, even though the warranty has expired long ago. Great service.

I will try to discuss with Jefa whether you can change it yourself or whether you have to totally disassemble the drive unit.

Ralph

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
« Reply #10 on: September 14 2018, 20:38 »
I also have had problems with my Jefa autopilot.on a Vision 42. The first occasion was at the very start of the second season. The boat had been delivered to Slovenia from new and subsequently kept in Greece. Nomicos yachts who are Bavaria agents in Lavrion said the unit would have to go back to Jeffa and take 6 to 8 weeks but if they looked at it I would lose my warranty. I contacted Clipper and they agreed that was too long and gave the O.K for me to let Nomicos look at it. After much trying to get it to work properly after their repair they took a unit out of a Cruiser 46 and installed it on my boat. For nearly all of the second season it worked fine but towards the end of last season it started to make the wheels “snatch” and the message that the rudder was near the limit of travel and recalibrate the rudder. The problem became very frequent at the beginning of this season and finally packed up completely in early June. I have brought the unit back to the U.K to send back to Jefa. I’m surprised to see that this is so common a problem. I will report back on my progress.

JJackson18b

• Swab
  • Boat Year: 2017
« Reply #11 on: October 03 2018, 16:39 »
Yay, I am not alone!  I'm having the same issue and will send it to Jefa next week.   however, i won't be able to test it till next season.

jj
Jon J.  SV Ruck-Up