Author Topic: Steering Bavaria 37 Cruiser (2007)  (Read 1706 times)

pieter

• Swab
Steering Bavaria 37 Cruiser (2007)
« on: September 23 2018, 13:29 »
Hi,

we bought a Bavaria 37 from 2007 this summer and I really appreciate this forum and the wealth of information it provides. This is my first posting, I could not find a reply posted yet.

1. Steering chains
The steering uses two chains to the lower gear, one for the wheel, the other for the autopilot. I have some play in the rudder response when turning the wheel. I looked at the chains and they both are slightly loose causing this play (you can push the chain at the spanners about 1.5cm sideways - or tirn the rudder a bit before the chain gets tight and turns the lower gear).

Because both chains are exactly the same way "loose" and there is no sign of the spanners not properly secured I am curious if this is the way it is supposed to be and there is a good reason for this or the chains could be tensioned further?

2. Upper rudder bearing housing

The upper rudder bearing housing is attached by screws bolted thru to a plate below. There was a tiny bit of movement of the housing so I tightented the bolts (which to my surprise could be turned quite a bit). I now noticed a few months later that the bolts could again be (further) tightened.
Is this known? just loosening bolts or more likely an indication that the structure (there seems to be some plywood sandwiched in) has an issue??

Pieter