Author Topic: More leaking Windows  (Read 4293 times)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
More leaking Windows
« on: September 09 2018, 20:46 »
Hi, I have a 2006 Bavaria 37 Cruiser and for some reason the starboard fixed coach roof window just behind the mast has started to leak. i am unsure how this is constructed and cannot find any specs online. I am sure this has happened to someone else how did you fix it and are there any drawings/specs available so I can see how it is constructed.
Simon

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
Re: More leaking Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 10 2018, 08:39 »
Simon, I replaced both leaking seals on my B37 2006. i don't have any specs but pictures are attached. I replaced the original grey seal with 3mm x 26mm neoprene rubber strip (search on ebay). This was non-adhesive. I suggest you measure your portlights first but I think a 10m length is adequate to replace both seals.
To remove the portlight unscrew the 24 screws on the top. Then gently ease the edge up with two large flat-headed screwdrivers, starting at one corner slowly working your way round - a bit like removing a bike tyre. if you have help get someone to push up the portlight whilst you do this. It will take some time and effort to break the seal. Once removed, clean every surface. The new strip can be pushed into shape and there are nylon lugs you can use to hold it in place although for some reason these do not go all the way round the portlight. Overlap and cut as necessary to go round the corners but note that the neoprene is pliable so you can 'bend' it as necessary to help get a good shape. Cut around the fixing points as necessary too. Once you have made the new seal replace the portlight and push the strip into shape before securing down again. Fit and seal the screws and the securing slot for the perspex frame. Trim as necessary.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 10 2018, 10:58 »
Use butyl tape.

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: September 10 2018, 14:42 »
Dawntrader, did you fit the screws through a puncture in the tape or cut a hole out. The photos are great and a real help thank you.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #4 on: September 11 2018, 07:42 »
Dawntrader, did you fit the screws through a puncture in the tape or cut a hole out. The photos are great and a real help thank you.

Just push the screw through - adds to the 'seal' too  ;)

Alfadude

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 33 Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 31 2018, 09:10 »
Thank you google for guiding me in here.  :D
I have a small leak on the port side deck portlight. I have bought a sheet of Neoprene and will se if this does the trick. Unfortunatley I have to retrim the cover on the inside as the water has already caused too much damage on the thin wooden plate...

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: October 31 2018, 10:34 »
Use butyl tape.

Why butyl tape instead of neoprene.? Touch wood mine haven’t leaked yet but a nearby charter operator just suggested to me on Sunday that I ought to pre empt them leaking and replace the seals.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2018, 11:52 »
Butyl is goo-ey but doesn't set hard, so won't deterorate and crack.

I did all of my hatches and portlights 8 years ago, and not a drop through since.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: October 31 2018, 22:13 »
Butyl is goo-ey but doesn't set hard, so won't deterorate and crack.

I did all of my hatches and portlights 8 years ago, and not a drop through since.

I’ve used Butyl tape under the stanchion bases on my B36(2002) as well as under the handrail fastenings on the coachroof, and under various other external fittings, and all with complete success and subsequent freedom from any water leakage over several years. It’s excellent stuff.

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: November 03 2018, 13:12 »
Sounds like an additional project for me. Upon arecent trip to the boat following a heavy downpour. Discovered a fairly good amount of water under a vented port light.