Author Topic: 2014 CRUISER 33 REPAIRING NON SLIP GEL COAT  (Read 4653 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
2014 CRUISER 33 REPAIRING NON SLIP GEL COAT
« on: August 16 2018, 20:44 »

I have 3 small chips on the non slip diamond pattern decking right in front of the cockpit winches. The raised diamond has been chipped off  they now show as black dots .
Has anybody successfully repaired these small diamonds with gel coat ?
Any advice would be gratefully received . Does anybody know the RAL number for the white gel coat on a 2014  Cruiser 33 sailing boat.

Regards Tony Revell

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: 2014 CRUISER 33 REPAIRING NON SLIP GEL COAT
« Reply #1 on: August 16 2018, 21:04 »
Maybe you contact the people at Selvida (selvida.de). They claim to have the OEM gelcoat and they also offer a small tool for non skid repairs. While I have used their gelcoat on our 2006/7 B 37 and can confirm that the color is a perfect match I have no experience with the tool. Good luck.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 16 2018, 22:35 »
You can get a tub of OE gel coat from Clipper Marine. I got some last year and it is a perfect match on my 33.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: August 17 2018, 20:08 »
Thank you for your replies.

I looked on the DE website but struggled as it is in German.

I have also spoken with Clipper they told me the cost of a 0.5 k  tin is 40.00 plus carriage .
As I only need 3 spots of gelcoat and the life of the gelcoat in the tin  is max 12months   it would seem a very expensive solution .
I was hoping that someone had found a small tube of gelcoat that matched in colour.
I did ask the colour or Ral code but was told Bavaria will not release that information.

Regards Tony Revell

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 17 2018, 20:27 »
RAL Colour!? It's white. The plastic padding gelcoat filler matches it just fine. Don't overcomplicate things ;-)

The tricky bit will be to get the pattern back. If you don't want to buy the expensive silicone stamp, you could perhaps make your own (don't ask me how, but someone suggested it somewhere), or just fill the small area flush to the top of the pattern protrusions and then cut with a ruler using the intact pattern as a guide. That's how I've done it when I filled some screwholes from moving the liferaft away from under the boom. Worked out reasonably well.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 17 2018, 22:37 »
I am in Poole and you are welcome to dip into my tub of gel coat. However, I tend to agree with Yngmar about using Plastic Padding gel coat filler. I used that on my last boat and it blended in well.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: August 20 2018, 19:24 »
Thank you I will get some plastic padding and try it

Regards  Tony

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 21 2018, 17:21 »
It's easy to make a pattern if you want to.

Use silicone RTV two part system which is a pourable liquid system that cures at room temperature to cure into a flexible rubber.

Mask off an area of good pattern to the size you want but I would suggest no bigger than about 100mm x 100mm using something to make an open box for containment. I would suggest  rigid plastic like a piece of old cutting board for example. Tape it up to seal it with gaffer tape or similar, the rubber is quite viscous so should not leak out too much and thickens up quickly while curing anyway. You want to make the mould about 15-25mm deep for strength and to make it conform to the pattern when in use for repairs.

Wax the surface that you intend to make a mould from to allow release of the Silicone Rubber RTV using normal hull wax

Mix the RTV as per instructions (usually they are 1:1) take care not to introduce air bubbles while mixing.

take a brush and brush the mix into the area to be copied, take care to fill all the spaces and "wet out" the area to stop voids forming during pouring. Once done carefully pour the mix into the box and let it stand until cured (probably a few hours) .

Once cured the pattern will be a flexible rubber with hopefully a perfect female representation of your anti skid deck.  You can then use this in-situ after putting on some gel coat to make the shape or if you have larger damage you can make a separate gel coat surface which you can then use on your deck after grinding down the area you want to replace.

Here is a video from You Tube. This was just one I found during a quick google search and I am not associated with the company. I am retired from a larger manufacturer of silicone elastomers and used to be in a technical role.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjAF4axDoY
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: August 22 2018, 07:43 »
Hi

I am quite keen to make this mould. Probably a daft question but how does one ensure that the dimples in the mould actually fit over the existing raised pattern.
Can you actually feel the whole mould nestling into the pattern . Has anybody used one of these moulds?

Regards Tony Revell    Pegatha  Cruiser 33

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 22 2018, 14:31 »
Hi Ant

I have not used one but have experience of making these and they are quite a rigid rubber once made. I am sure you would be able to position it onto the existing dimples and fell it seated there.

Have a go and let us know how you made out !

Cheers
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Holger

• Second Mate
« Reply #10 on: August 22 2018, 14:46 »
Andy from boatworks today suggests this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZLorXTNys

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: August 24 2018, 20:15 »
Thanks for all the input . I am definitely going to have a go at the mould . I found it interesting that PVA appears to work like a wax to seal and help the gel coat to cure .  The guys make it look real easy so here is hoping.

Regards tony Revell

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: August 28 2018, 08:19 »
Hi all

Good news so far. Inspired by Andy at Boatworks . I have made the mould. Made a timber frame held together by Gaffa tape. Used the gel coat I purchased to make the repair and reinforced with a couple coats of resin. Used boat polish and PVa as the release agent.
Used a flat area in front of the forward winch to make the mould.
Delighted the mould released without any damage or marks to existing non slip area.
The imprint looks perfect to me . So now the hardest part mixing the gel coat to match . I purchased brilliant white and 3 tints from ebay which they state is all I will need . There is a cream and 2 browns with a different hue. Not sure I will use the browns .
Any one with experience. Advice would be welcome . But so far so good.  See what you can do when the wind is blowing a 6 and you decide to stay in the harbour.   

Regards Tony  Pegatha Cruiser 33

Holger

• Second Mate
« Reply #13 on: August 28 2018, 09:59 »
That sounds good. I have no experience with mixing gelcoat. There is a product by Jotun / BHP which I have used. Small quantities and sells at EUR 17.50 in Germany. The color was a good match on our Bav 37 2006. It is available here http://www.maritimusboote.de/epages/289397.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=Monitor&GUID=Store7-5B850E39-C885-C07E-519A-0A0C6D00FEB9 and elsewhere offered by Watski

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #14 on: September 08 2018, 16:22 »
Mixed gel coat and tints . Quite pleased with result used my mould but a bit disappointing possibly did not use enough gel coat. All a bit of a learning process . Will grind out gel and try again.  Will let you know in due course

Regards Tony

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #15 on: September 09 2018, 16:37 »
Have done again using the mould  still a bit disappointing . I think it better to forget the mould and just put the gel coat on and then spend time rubbing down to achieve the result.

Hope this saves someone else a lot of time

Regards Tony Revell   Pegatha