Author Topic: Vision42 - Changeover to an e-winch  (Read 2201 times)

Conralph

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vison 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Vision42 - Changeover to an e-winch
« on: August 29 2018, 14:49 »
Hello,
at our Vision 42 we would like to retrofit the central winch on the construction with an e-winch. Unfortunately, the area below the deck is difficult to access. Does anyone have pictures of installing the winch below deck? Through the wardrobe in the aft cabin you can see the area but difficult to reach. Is there a service opening?

Thanks
Ralph

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: Vision42 - Changeover to an e-winch
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2018, 15:36 »
Hi Ralph

Assume you mean an electric winch. This is for your halyard and other lines on top of cabin.
I had a electric fitted from new. 2013 Vision, Great idea.
I think your only access in as you say, via the locker  above engine.
The only thought I had was remove the locker door, give you a bit more room.
If it’s a Lewmar winch you might be able to retro fit the electric motor and gear box to your existing winch. Also you will need to run some heavy gauge cable, electric chew through the amps.

Cheers
Club 56

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 02 2018, 00:06 »
Hi Ralph, I have a V46 with the same centre-line cupboard in the aft cabin. I don't know of any easy way to get underneath the winch and mine came with electric winch standard as per Club 56. I agree they are very useful....

Can I suggest that you can disassemble the existing winch by taking the clip from the top (it's easy to google and get a You Tube demo) and then you should reveal mounting screws on the main mounting. Once you remove these you should have access to the mounting hole below.

I have to believe that Bavaria made this area big enough for electric winches since they offer these as factory fit items when you buy the new boat. That might be the easiest way to access the area from above. You need then only run the heavy cable as described by Club56 and you can do that from underneath by drilling a hole and running  the cable down the back of the cupboard through the engine bay.  The modern electric winches have the motor inside the winch so do not take up much more room than a manual one. It may be you can retrofit a motor as mentioned.

Like I say I have not done it but that would seem the most logical way to look at it.

Taking apart a winch is also good practice for when you need to service them and refit bearings, grease pawls etc.  Take care there are a few small parts in the winch which will make a bid for freedom when taking it apart so keep a tray close by to store the parts in!

Hope it helps....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Conralph

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vison 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 04 2018, 15:43 »
Thanks for the answers.
I am trying to convert the existing Lewmar EVO 45th to an electric winch. The motor of this winch is below the base plate. The engine is then installed from below.

In the cable management I agree with you that is relatively simple. The path remains from below to the attachment.

Ralph