Author Topic: Cruiser 33 lifted on Volvo saildrive leg  (Read 2301 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Cruiser 33 lifted on Volvo saildrive leg
« on: August 25 2018, 19:26 »
My boat yard accidentally lifted my boat with the strop under the sail drive. No vibration or noise has occurred since but I do get a small amount of dirty oil in the engine bay. And clear oil in the diaphram.  The Volvo dealer has suggested the engine be removed and inspected which I will do once laid up.
I have been told because the rear mount is a horizontal bolted rubber mount .It will probably not have damaged anything. But prior to the lift the engine bay remained clear of oil and just needed dusting now and again.

Does anybody know if the leg is designed to withstand this situation and whether crankshaft seals could be damaged . Once out hopefully any casting  cracks will be obvious.
Has anybody had experience of this sort of thing . The yard tells me they lift at owners risk. 
The boat is 2014 and the engine hours are 500 .

Regards Tony Revell    Cruiser 33

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Cruiser 33 lifted on Volvo saildrive leg
« Reply #1 on: August 25 2018, 21:03 »
Ouch! That's an incredible amount of upwards force, almost all of which is borne by the rubber bushing on the rear of the saildrive, and from there transferred to the steel mounting ring around the rubber diaphragm and the bolts holding it. None of the parts are designed to bear these loads and on a larger boat it would likely have torn the saildrive out of the mounting frame.

Check the rubber bushing for cracks, bursts and permanent deformation as well as the metal ring and bolts. It would probably be prudent to remove the saildrive to assess the bolts and the threads in the glassed in mounting frame aren't damaged.

The crankshaft seal could only be damaged if the lower bolts connecting the saildrive to the engine have sheared, which you should check for. The clear oil on the diaphragm may be from the input shaft on the gearbox, or less likely from the seal between lower leg and gearbox (although that part would be in compression and likely could bear the load).

Certainly not a common occurrence unless the lifting crew is really terrible. Last time we lifted (in Portugal), they had a guy in a dinghy squeeze into the Travelift bay alongside us and position and check the slings for exactly that sort of thing.

What does your insurance say about this?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 25 2018, 23:30 »
Your hull should have been clearly marked with arrows on either side identifying where the saildrive is. My 33 was. If so the yard are responsible for lifting it incorrectly. Speak to your insurers and notify the yard you are holding them responsible for any damage.

The first time I had the boat lifted on our club hoist we marked where the sling went with the little stickers you can buy from any chandlers. Normally I am there when the boat is lifted, but am quite happy to let the club bosun do it without me as all the staff know where the lift points are.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: August 26 2018, 14:02 »
I have informed the insurance who have asked for a report. I will remove the engine and saildrive once the boat is laid up. Then can study in detail.
No damage seems to have occurred to the rear suspension mount.  I do have marks on the hull which we put on the first time it was lifted.
Not sure where else the engine oil is coming from unless the engine casting is cracked which I imagine is unlikely. But once out everything can be studied in detail.
I just wondered if anybody else had experienced this.

Regards Tony