Author Topic: Bav 30 cruiser anchor choice?  (Read 4996 times)

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bav 30 cruiser anchor choice?
« on: August 12 2018, 14:29 »
Hi

can’t get my head around all these tables and charts and differing opinions from experts/magazines etc

I’m never going to be anchored in a F8 I just want an anchor which will enable a good nights sleep without fretting

Choice currently (on top of the list) is either a delta/Manson/Rocna

The delta being air cheaper

Question is size... 10kg or 16kg, I don’t have a windlass but 16kg is fine (our current anchor is 16kg) 10kg would make life easier but will it hold sufficiently - says up to 4t on most charts yet the 30 weighs 4125kg typical!

What are you using on your Bavaria?

This is uk south coast

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Bav 30 cruiser anchor choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2018, 14:34 »
I have a B34 and use a 15Kg Rocna.  Sets every time, first time so no worries through the night.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 12 2018, 15:17 »
10kg Delta. Standard equipment on Bavaria 33. Never had any problem mainly anchoring in mud, sand, weed.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: August 12 2018, 15:26 »
UK south coast you have mostly muddy bottoms, which the Rocna is perfect for. Check if it fits your bow roller though (they have PDF templates online that you can print and make a cardboard anchor for checking from). Their sizing guide is good and will tell you what you need - looks to be a 15 kg Rocna as you're slightly over 4 tons, and a bigger anchor will generally hold better and if you're on weed/grass, it will penetrate better as the tip is longer.

We've never dragged on the UK south coast with our Rocna 25. Not even during this episode. We did drag once in a blow in a rare muddy bottom in Menorca because a pair of discarded pants was caught on the tip :)

There is also the Vulcan 12kg. The Vulcan is basically a Spade copy (by Rocna) and supposedly performs as well as a Rocna, but without the roller bar, using ballast instead for positioning. It's a good weight compromise and the lack of roller bar means it will fit your bow without any problems. These factors may well make it the optimal choice - I had to modify our bow roller for the bigger Rocna as the roll bar was clonking into the pulpit.

If you do go for the Rocna, please do not anchor the way you have always done, but actually read the manual on how to correctly deploy and set the anchor. We've had a boat drag onto us in the night with a perfectly good Rocna because they were using it completely wrong.

If weight is a problem, Spade makes an aluminium version too, which I've personally seen perform extremely well. They're quite costly though.

The Delta is a now outdated plow style design and won't perform nearly as well in mud.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: August 12 2018, 16:43 »
10kg Delta. Standard equipment on Bavaria 33. Never had any problem mainly anchoring in mud, sand, weed.

I have the same on my Bav 30 and it's never let me down in reasonable conditions, which are the only ones i anchor in

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #5 on: August 12 2018, 17:35 »

I have the same on my Bav 30 and it's never let me down in reasonable conditions, which are the only ones i anchor in

Delta anchors great value for the money. We're based on the West Coast of Scotland, so on occasion have to cope with some really lousy weather.
The last time was hiding near Plockton during Storm 'Hector'. 3 boat dragged, we were safe though somewhat traumatised by the end.
But buy a big one, we carry a grossly oversized 25kg Delta due to the widespread weed problem, with 65 meters of lightish 8mm chain on an early and heavy B38 ( we also carry a CQR of about the same weight on a chain and octoplait rode)......Bill

Krill

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: August 12 2018, 19:37 »
UK south coast you have mostly muddy bottoms, which the Rocna is perfect for. Check if it fits your bow roller though (they have PDF templates online that you can print and make a cardboard anchor for checking from). Their sizing guide is good and will tell you what you need - looks to be a 15 kg Rocna as you're slightly over 4 tons, and a bigger anchor will generally hold better and if you're on weed/grass, it will penetrate better as the tip is longer.

We've never dragged on the UK south coast with our Rocna 25. Not even during this episode. We did drag once in a blow in a rare muddy bottom in Menorca because a pair of discarded pants was caught on the tip :)

There is also the Vulcan 12kg. The Vulcan is basically a Spade copy (by Rocna) and supposedly performs as well as a Rocna, but without the roller bar, using ballast instead for positioning. It's a good weight compromise and the lack of roller bar means it will fit your bow without any problems. These factors may well make it the optimal choice - I had to modify our bow roller for the bigger Rocna as the roll bar was clonking into the pulpit.

If you do go for the Rocna, please do not anchor the way you have always done, but actually read the manual on how to correctly deploy and set the anchor. We've had a boat drag onto us in the night with a perfectly good Rocna because they were using it completely wrong.

If weight is a problem, Spade makes an aluminium version too, which I've personally seen perform extremely well. They're quite costly though.

The Delta is a now outdated plow style design and won't perform nearly as well in mud.

You think I could get away with a 10kg Rocna? I saw a picture of a 15 on a bav 30 looks rather large.

The boat is 9.4m so would sit in the middle of the sizing guide which would look ok up to 4.5t I wouldn’t anchor in anything over a f5/6 and the lighter weight would help with hand balling it up

Just a thought at the minute - might send the question to the horses mouth I.e Rocna but as others have stated larger boats than mine all have 10kg deltas and I often see boats in marinas (not the best for comparison) with nothing above 10kg unless they’re over 33ish foot.

I’m just a cruiser who seldom anchors of course if I’m living on the hook and plan on being there is crap weather I defiantly would have the 15kg but maybe it’s a little excessive for my needs? Any thoughts appreciated

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: August 12 2018, 22:49 »
In that case I'd go with the 12 kg Vulcan. Perfect for the size of your boat, bit lighter to haul up than your current anchor and no problems with the bow roller - cardboard template not required.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 13 2018, 10:30 »

You think I could get away with a 10kg Rocna? I saw a picture of a 15 on a bav 30 looks rather large.

The boat is 9.4m so would sit in the middle of the sizing guide which would look ok up to 4.5t I wouldn’t anchor in anything over a f5/6 and the lighter weight would help with hand balling it up

Just a thought at the minute - might send the question to the horses mouth I.e Rocna but as others have stated larger boats than mine all have 10kg deltas and I often see boats in marinas (not the best for comparison) with nothing above 10kg unless they’re over 33ish foot.

I’m just a cruiser who seldom anchors of course if I’m living on the hook and plan on being there is crap weather I defiantly would have the 15kg but maybe it’s a little excessive for my needs? Any thoughts appreciated
[/quote]

I think that is the point. Most discussions on anchors comes from people who plan to (or do) cruise widely and anchor frequently - because it is really important for them. From "normal" UK cruising and anchoring in generally favourable locations and conditions you really do not need the heavy gear that they advocate. A 10kg Delta on 8mm chain is more than adequate - in fact a CQR is also more than adequate on the type of seabeds you find on the south coast.

By all means buy one of the more sophisticated anchors if you have the money, but doubt you will ever know the difference anchoring in the way you describe!

sunshine

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: August 13 2018, 12:12 »
Rocna 15 fits, although you need to *slightly*chamfer the cut out in the anchor locker lid. Something to think about though is whether you pick up moorings a lot, and whether you tend stow the anchor in the locker to free up the bow roller for the mooring strop. Rocna 15 almost fits in the locker but not quite as a bit of shank sticks up, preventing the lid fully closing (this may depend on what windlass set up you have)
Its fine as long as no one steps on the lid. If you use your own strop, fed through the two fairleads for moorings and don't stow the anchor then this isn't an issue.

For performance, I sleep much better with the rocna than the cqr previously. Breaking it out in the morning is the issue - you need to be directly over it applying vertical pull, but it always comes out

Krill

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: August 13 2018, 16:04 »
Rocna 15 fits, although you need to *slightly*chamfer the cut out in the anchor locker lid. Something to think about though is whether you pick up moorings a lot, and whether you tend stow the anchor in the locker to free up the bow roller for the mooring strop. Rocna 15 almost fits in the locker but not quite as a bit of shank sticks up, preventing the lid fully closing (this may depend on what windlass set up you have)
Its fine as long as no one steps on the lid. If you use your own strop, fed through the two fairleads for moorings and don't stow the anchor then this isn't an issue.

For performance, I sleep much better with the rocna than the cqr previously. Breaking it out in the morning is the issue - you need to be directly over it applying vertical pull, but it always comes out

my windlass is my arms! i am steering towards the 10kg, 15 may be a bit overkill for what i feel comfortable anchoring in, alternatively there is the Manson supreme at 11kg rated to 35ft and 5t for my boat size according to their charts

sunshine

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: August 13 2018, 17:34 »
I'm sure a 10 will be fine, although once you really start to enjoy the peace and freedom (and zero cost!) you might want to anchor more often than you anticipate just now. Don't forget to look into the right shackle to fit anchor and chain - weakest link and all that. I got a "green pin" one from jimmy green.

Krill

• First Mate
« Reply #12 on: August 14 2018, 22:38 »

Do you stay on the hook overnight much?

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 15 2018, 00:53 »
Yes. Avoid marinas and buoys as I sail on my own and it is easy to anchor. This year have anchored in South Deep and Pottery pier in Poole harbour, Studland, Newtown River, behind Hurst, Worbarrow Bay and Lulworth Cove, all more than once and apart from the harbour ones overnight.

I do have a windlass and use a snubber (line and chain hook).

Like most things to do with boats it is just a matter of understanding the principles and practising to gain confidence.