Author Topic: Autopilot advice for Bav 32  (Read 5613 times)

AndrewC

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2012
Autopilot advice for Bav 32
« on: August 06 2018, 21:20 »
Hi everyone, after spending a week sailing with an autopilot, I’ve decided to take the plunge and get one. I’m thinking about one of the Garmin models as I have a bunch of garmin kit on board already.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Autopilot advice for Bav 32
« Reply #1 on: August 06 2018, 22:17 »
Go for it, it should be one of your most useful additions, particularly if you sail single handed like I do most of the time.
My set up on a B36 uses mainly Raymarine instruments, and I went for one of their wheel pilots which was on offer at the time. It has worked well, but it is a bit under powered for my boat, though it should be enough for yours. The wheel pilot however is quite noisy in the cockpit. If your finances allow, go for a below deck set up which will be much quieter and more relaxing while in use and should have more than enough grunt to see you through bad weather.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: August 07 2018, 08:56 »
As Salty said - go for it, however I would invest in a "non whee mounted" type. These will generally provide more power with less noise ans simpler operation (no need to engage/disengage something mechanically).
I too have Raymarine equipment and replaced my original wheel mounted with a linear drive which is installed in the lazarette, but there are also units than connect to a sprocket on the wheel shaft (open your binnacle, probably you have this sprocket already installed)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 07 2018, 11:03 »
The Garmin autopilot is excellent. Standard fit on my 33. However from experience Raymarine electronics is just as good, but avoid the wheel drive.

The biggest issue with installation is the drive unit so you need to do a bit of research as to the best way of fitting the drive, and what drive suits.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: August 07 2018, 12:11 »
However from experience Raymarine electronics is just as good, but avoid the wheel drive.

Good advice.
My brother has a Gibsea 372 that had a wheel drive.
 One breezy day he couldn't be bothered hoisting the main so he set off on a broad reach using his large unfurled genoa.
Since he was sailing solo he engaged the wheel pilot.
Shortly afterwards the unit disintegrated, firing little bits of plastic and small components all over the cockpit.
It would appear that the rudder loads generated by the unbalanced boat proved too much for the unit and it gave up the unequal struggle in spectacular fashion..!!
An expensive lesson........Bill

Ronald

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 15 2018, 05:58 »
If you have the wheel steer, you may want to check my lewmar drive in the for sale section.

It has the drive the bracket,chain,solenoid, al complete.

If you have a steer computer fitted that may be a option.

Regards Ronald..

Joe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #6 on: August 15 2018, 08:09 »
I have recently replaced the outdated Raymarine by a new Garmin steer computer.
Works fine with the old Raymarine linear drive.

Joe

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: August 15 2018, 12:07 »
I retrofitted a AP Om my 37. I found the steering already had mounts and a spare sprocket for a Lewmar rotary drive.  If your boat is the same, this will simplify mounting a drive, which can be the hardest bit to get right.  The rubber band drive is simply a light weight system, a linear or the rotary is out of sight, quiet and bullet proof. Setting up the electronic parts is pretty straight forward, I used RM EVO 200 and it is very good, love the easy toggle between wind vane and course setting. 
Cheers Richard

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 15 2018, 16:28 »
It would be worth emailing Jefa with details of your boat.  They'll be able to recommend the correct tiller arm to suit, and the appropriate Jefa linear drive unit (this is the same as the one Garmin sell with their branding on).

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: August 15 2018, 23:16 »
I retrofitted a AP Om my 37. I found the steering already had mounts and a spare sprocket for a Lewmar rotary drive.  If your boat is the same, this will simplify mounting a drive, which can be the hardest bit to get right.  The rubber band drive is simply a light weight system, a linear or the rotary is out of sight, quiet and bullet proof. Setting up the electronic parts is pretty straight forward, I used RM EVO 200 and it is very good, love the easy toggle between wind vane and course setting. 
Cheers Richard

Unfortunately the Lewmar drive only fits a few Bavaria models including obviously your 37. It will not fit the OPs boat or any of the smaller boats as there is not room for it under the pedestal.

noblemetric

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: August 26 2018, 09:45 »
While I cannot comment specifically in relation to the Bav 32, I have experience of both wheel mounted Autopilot and Quadrant mounted Autopilot (under floor using a hydraulic ram). The wheel mounted options are only capable of steering when there is very little pressure on the wheel (light winds). If you can afford it, go for the Quadrant Mounted option as its much stronger.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 26 2018, 11:44 »
I have a Raymarine SX30 with a big rotary motor drive under the cockpit.  It's reliable, quiet, and powerful.

Don't buy cheap, it's not worth it.  You want a pilot that you can rely on, especially in rough weather.