Author Topic: MD2030B leakage around (fresh) water circulation pump  (Read 2442 times)

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
I am experiencing a build up of fine withe/grayish dust around the fresh water circulation pump.
Photo attached is taken after 15 days use in holiday, and some 20-25 engine hours.
I also noticed a very small amount of salty water in the bilge in front of the engine, say 50 cubic centimeters after every 4-5 hours run.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Incidentally, cooling liquid level is constant, engine is running very smoothly and has 1000 hours.
Thanks for any help
Oliver
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: MD2030B leakage around (fresh) water circulation pump
« Reply #1 on: July 24 2018, 05:46 »
Is it possible that you have a pin hole leak in one of your sea water hoses, or maybe a hose clip that is not quite as tight as it should be allowing water to escape. Suggest you wrap some absorbent tissue around the length of the nearest sea water hose, give the engine a run for twenty minutes then check the tissue to see if it is wet. If it is wet, that might give you a better guide to where the leak is located. Maybe spend some time watching the engine while it is running to see if you can identify where the water is coming from, just keep your fingers away from any moving parts, fan belt, pulley wheels etc.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: July 24 2018, 09:23 »
Looks like a problem with the gasket #5 on the fresh water pump: https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746410-26-2435.aspx

The white powder is probably aluminium oxide from the pump housing. Looks like the pump needs to be removed, inspected and at the very least the gaskets renewed (there's one on each side of the plate #4 - you'll need both).

The saltwater in the bilge is probably a separate problem. Check the raw water plumbing (hoseclamps, etc.) first.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #3 on: July 24 2018, 13:15 »
Thank you both, I will look to saltwater leaks with absorbent paper from one side and have the circulation pump removed by a professional, as I am not keen of doing it myself in the middle of the holiday season.
In facts the white dust is a very fine powder, different from the coarse seasalt crystals you often find in the bilge.
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 25 2018, 10:52 »
Doubt it is anything serious. Suggest you clean it all off and see what happens. Could be just a very minor weep from the gasket and not worth taking it off to change the gasket now.