Author Topic: Adding 12v sockets  (Read 2561 times)

spindreams

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 42 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Adding 12v sockets
« on: August 07 2018, 09:05 »
Hi Guys,

I have a new (to me) 42 cruiser 2005.

I am looking to add a 12v cigar style socket to each of the staterooms, i want to keep them on the circuit for the socket panel fuse  but the wiring diagram seems to omit where to wire too and I don't think wiring direct to the switch would be ideal (although it would seem the previous owners have done this in the past with some dodgy looking splicing), there must be some proper terminal to connect too but it is not shown in the wiring diagram anywhere.

regards

Sam

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Adding 12v sockets
« Reply #1 on: August 07 2018, 09:27 »
There is a bus bar for positive feeds (white block behind the electric panel).  The switches are all circuit breakers.

B40-Lefkas

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 09 2018, 09:46 »
Open up the control panel above the chart table. You have switches F1 - F5 that are unallocated and can be used for accessories such as this. They are fused (typically 15A) and can be turned of when not needed. Just plug into the spade connector on the back of the panel. Use a good sized cable as there will be a substantial voltage drop especially with the longer runs. Depending on current draw 1.5 to 3mm2.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 09 2018, 13:31 »
Don't know your exact electric panel, but assume it is  similar, if not identical, to mine (2004 B36) - since the lighter socket is part of the panel the supply for it goes directly from the switch/fuse which is also on the panel, so there is no dedicated terminal.
So you options are either splicing or, as suggested, use one of the free circuits.

One note - do you need them for 12V or as a socket for charging USB type devices? If the latter then you can purchase sockets that are similar in shape and size to the cigarette lighter but have on them 2 X USB charging ports (I purchased several of them on Ebay)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004