Author Topic: Bavaria 30 operations panel 201  (Read 4230 times)

Claes@addit.dk

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2005
Bavaria 30 operations panel 201
« on: July 03 2018, 08:06 »
Do anybody know how to control the changing using the engine or land Supply.  Don't Think It's to well described in the user manual.
Don't know WHO is the administrator of this forum but it would be so Nice if it was possible to use boat type as filter on the member list search

Rgds Claes

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bavaria 30 operations panel 201
« Reply #1 on: July 03 2018, 09:15 »
Hi Claes, and welcome to the forum, you will find it to be an absolute mine of information.

Do anybody know how to control the changing using the engine or land Supply.  Don't Think It's to well described in the user manual.
Don't know WHO is the administrator of this forum but it would be so Nice if it was possible to use boat type as filter on the member list search
Rgds Claes

In regard to what I think you mean as your battery charging issue, on my B36(2002) there was originally no control that would allow battery charging from the mains supply of electricity to be turned on or off other than by tripping the breaker on the mains supply or disconnecting the mains plug. This meant that all the time I had electricity connected, my batteries were being charged whether I wanted them charged or not. Looking behind the mains part of the distribution panel I found where the mains battery charging wire connected, and I fitted an illuminated rocker switch to the panel thereby connecting the mains charging system through that switch. Having an illuminated switch for the power supply to the charger meant it was easy to see when the system was switched on or off. That way it was my choice whether the batteries were charged while shore power was connected.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: July 03 2018, 14:15 »
I've done the exact same mod as Salty after installing solar. I wanted to charge from solar rather than metered power outlets during the day. It's an easy thing to fit and if you don't want to do it yourself, any (somewhat agile) household electrician can do it for you.

As for searching by boat type, the best way to do it is probably using Google, like so:

Code: [Select]
site:bavariayacht.org "40 Ocean" Leak
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Boatname

« Reply #3 on: July 10 2018, 20:52 »
Hi Claes, and welcome to the forum, you will find it to be an absolute mine of information.

Rgds Claes

In regard to what I think you mean as your battery charging issue, on my B36(2002) there was originally no control that would allow battery charging from the mains supply of electricity to be turned on or off other than by tripping the breaker on the mains supply or disconnecting the mains plug. This meant that all the time I had electricity connected, my batteries were being charged whether I wanted them charged or not. Looking behind the mains part of the distribution panel I found where the mains battery charging wire connected, and I fitted an illuminated rocker switch to the panel thereby connecting the mains charging system through that switch. Having an illuminated switch for the power supply to the charger meant it was easy to see when the system was switched on or off. That way it was my choice whether the batteries were charged while shore power was connected.

Nice fix, I wish I was as clever as you  :)

My charger is accessible under the chart table. I just pull the lead out. Prefer your method.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 11 2018, 04:58 »

Nice fix, I wish I was as clever as you  :)

My charger is accessible under the chart table. I just pull the lead out. Prefer your method.

I wish I was clever Boatname, but can only plead guilty to being curious. It doesn’t always get me to where I want to go, though sometimes it helps.

Next time on my boat I’ll open the panel and photograph where I made the connections for the switch and post them here along with a simplified drawing - if I can !!

Boatname

« Reply #5 on: July 11 2018, 08:27 »
Which means “my friend Mike” can expect a phone call  :tbu

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 15 2018, 11:51 »
As promised, herewith the photographs, and a simplified drawing. The first photo is just of the outside of the panel, but shows where I mounted the switch, the Dymo label is a bit naff and I’ll change it sometime when I’ve nothing better to do.

The next photo shows the reverse side of the mains breaker switch where each of the cables for the various mains electric circuits it provides for. Notice that each of the cable ends is held in place by a small grub screw that tightens onto the bared wires. There are at least three rows of connections, with each row handling a specific service, namely negative, positive and earth wires. One of the first things I did was to identify the cable lead between the mains breaker and the battery charger. On my boat that had a grey plastic outer sheath, and in the vicinity of the mains breaker there was only one cable lead of that colour. Disconnecting one of the wires proved that this was indeed the cable whose wires I needed to look at as that disconnection had stopped the charger from working, but had not interfered with any of the other services.

Fitting the switch meant first cutting a rectangular hole into the face of the mains panel. This was done by marking a rectangular shape of the right size on the surface of that panel, drilling several small holes that I could link together, and finishing off with a flat file. With the switch in place it was a simple matter to fit spade connectors to some new wires that would connect from the breaker to the new switch, photo 3. Spade connectors were also fitted to the wires to the charger and were connected as shown in my diagram in the fourth  picture which I hope is easy enough to follow.