Author Topic: White smoke from exhaust  (Read 11200 times)

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: White smoke from exhaust
« Reply #25 on: July 13 2018, 17:09 »
Thanks for the information . You are right where I would never try to do it as my boat would never be the same again. I will try to find a mechanic who has the knowledge. Thanks again

To be fair I had an marine engineer mate with me when my injectors were pulled.  But having seen it done/assisted, it really is a simple task (c. 30mins) to draw them and I would feel happy to do it myself if ever needed again, and i am no engineer.  However, if you do have them pulled do not buy new nozzles from VP.  I used City Auto in Plymouth who are a bosch centre.  They were able to test the injector pattern and confirm mine was rubbish (I expected this as there was a lot of carbon around the nozzles.  The ordered the new nozzles for next day, reconditioned the old injectors (blasted them back to bare metal) then fitted the new nozzles and provided them back with new copper washers...all for £150.   Google injector nozzles for MD2020, should find sources at around £40/each.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #26 on: July 14 2018, 21:13 »
Thanks for the information Ricd about the injectors. My MD2020D was new in 2002 and I doubt if the injectors have ever been checked, serviced or given so much as a second thought until I bought the boat in 2010. I’ve had it professionally serviced three times since then, and done the intermediate oil, filter, antifreeze, cooling water impeller and fan belt changes etc., myself. None of the professionals suggested doing anything with the injectors despite specific questions from me, and the latest comment about leaving well alone was from an engineer last winter during the lay up. The engine does run smoothly, it is very economic, there is no white smoke at all, and yesterday Friday 13th came and went very quietly and without hiccup. 💤

Ricd

• Able Seaman
« Reply #27 on: July 15 2018, 14:55 »
Thanks for the information Ricd about the injectors. My MD2020D was new in 2002 and I doubt if the injectors have ever been checked, serviced or given so much as a second thought until I bought the boat in 2010. I’ve had it professionally serviced three times since then, and done the intermediate oil, filter, antifreeze, cooling water impeller and fan belt changes etc., myself. None of the professionals suggested doing anything with the injectors despite specific questions from me, and the latest comment about leaving well alone was from an engineer last winter during the lay up. The engine does run smoothly, it is very economic, there is no white smoke at all, and yesterday Friday 13th came and went very quietly and without hiccup. 💤
If the engine is running smoothly and there are no issues, such as white smoke, why would you touch the injectors. I only sought advice from my marine engineer mate when, like the OP, I started getting white smoke at higher revs. Apart from that engine ran smoothly. I had never had it professionally serviced. I did the oil, impeller, coolant, belt, filters etc myself and certainly never adjusted anything. When I called my mate to look at my white smoke issue I ran engine up to temp and revs awaiting his arrival. As soon as he got to the boat he said the injectors need attention. We changed them and thereafter all has been well. Having said all that I changed engine last year for a D1-30.

juanlopes

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #28 on: July 16 2018, 18:34 »
I had the same problem on my bav 30 this month, after changing the exhaust elbow, clean the heat exchange, and pay the bill.

Finally i solve it myself.  The problem was in the obstruction of the water intake of the saildrive, I put water with the hose through the tube that goes from the bottom tap to the filter and problem solved.

Check if there are air bubbles in the salt water circuit you can see it through the hose.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 17 2018, 07:54 »
We keep telling him this

Ricd

• Able Seaman
« Reply #30 on: July 18 2018, 09:58 »
We keep telling him this

The issue that needs to be decided is, is the white smoke water vapor or un-combusted fuel?  If the former it will rise and dissipate as it comes out of the exhaust.  If the latter then it tends to hug the water surface a bit and can have a slight diesel/sulphur smell.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #31 on: July 18 2018, 10:22 »
Most likely unburnt fuel because the engine is not heating up properly.
Check your thermostat to make sure it is working properly.

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #32 on: July 28 2018, 13:04 »
Finally after 2 years of searching all your advice has come to be. The mechanic finally removed the intake valve ( a little apprehensive) stuck a coat hanger end down there , nothing big stuck out but there were no more air bubbles and the water out of the exhaust increased. Before I would have replaced every part of the motor now I believe I can enjoy my summer . That you all again you have been a great help .

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #33 on: July 28 2018, 13:54 »
Why not try running the engine till up to temp.
Stick your hand in the exhaust flow, the water should be warm not hot, but more importantly smell your hand, it should smell of exhaust, not be greasy and smell of unburnt diesel.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: July 28 2018, 18:23 »
If he just poked a coat hanger down there, it will come back.  You need to ut the dinghy pump or an airline on there and blow all the crap completely out of the leg.

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #35 on: October 15 2018, 03:04 »
Any update on this topic?
I'm going though the same fate. I pulled heat exchangers and cleaned them. The anti freeze was mud color. Proudly, I put everything together and had hoped it would clear up. No such luck, in addition I would my s drive oil to be gray. Concerned I changed it 4 times until proper color. But, I suspect due to being in the water without a haul out like Salty suggests, the s drive needs a good cleansing.
Cheers,

bravado

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #36 on: September 12 2022, 06:39 »
Another place to look for this problem (although less likely since you say it happens only in high RPM) - check the coolant level - if it drops over time you may have a leak of coolant into the cylinders.
Hi what is the solution if you have this problem please?