Author Topic: turned out to be a non issue  (Read 1996 times)

stuartri

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria cruiser 36
  • Boat Year: 2012
turned out to be a non issue
« on: June 20 2018, 13:24 »
 over fill on the oil

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: d1-30F crank seal leak. 600 hours.
« Reply #1 on: June 20 2018, 23:38 »
I have the same engine in my Bav 38 2010.

Been leaking 1 or 2 drops every time I use the engine from the same place. Never bothered to fix this leak. Mine appears to be coming from the gasket rather than an Oil Seal as such. It appears to leak on start up and doesn't appear to continue leaking after a long run.

Also had:-
1.  Oil leak from Sump gasket. Fixed by tightening the bolts.
2. Oil leak from " expansion valve"  on engine block near raw water pump. This small leak seems to have stopped by itself.
3. Oil leak from crankshaft oil seal on front of engine. Replaced oil seal.

I drop oil into the bilge every time I change the oil filter.

What I suggest is that you keep the bilge clean with paper towels and monitor the leak. If you do get someone to fix your leak, it would be appreciated if you could film what they do and post on this forum.

I can't believe the number of small maintenance issues I've had with my Volvo Penta D1-30 ( actually mostly a Perkins). I have an old Mazda 2 at home, just reached 400,000km on the clock and never had an oil leak, or any other mechanical issue for that matter.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: d1-30F crank seal leak. 600 hours.
« Reply #2 on: June 21 2018, 08:40 »
Why not just stick a disposable nappy in the tray under the leak and just replace it every so often.  Is it really worth all the cost and aggro?