Author Topic: Help Please! Helm stuck in Bav 39 C  (Read 2590 times)

geoffmjones

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Help Please! Helm stuck in Bav 39 C
« on: June 17 2018, 12:51 »
Hi All,
2006 boat, chain steering, helm locked solid!? After some research on this site, I decided I must have the same bearing problems that it seems many Bavs suffer from. Just to check, I've loosened the steering collar on the rudder shaft, assuming this will effectively make the rudder and helm independent of each other...... I tried the emergency tiller and can't budge it a cm! Again, I'm guessing it's a bearing problem but just wondering if there's a locking nut or something else I need to do to use the emergency tiller?

What I don't understand is why I still can't move the wheel?! I had the auto pilot reinstalled at the end of last year and she hasn't been out since 😭
The aft chain locks up, so I'm thinking the problem could be with the lower cog....

Any thoughts / suggestions much appreciated

Geoff
Currently landlocked!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Help Please! Helm stuck in Bav 39 C
« Reply #1 on: June 17 2018, 17:59 »
Autopilot clutch stuck/permanently engaged? According to your own story, it was the item most recently fiddled with, and therefore most likely to be the one at fault.

I don't know the exact steering setup on your boat, but normally you'd disconnect either the cables/chain from the quadrant or the quadrant from the shaft to disengage the wheel. If it's the autopilot, the autopilot quadrant/arm. Once both are disconnected from the rudder post and the emergency tiller still doesn't shift it, that leaves only the seized rudder. Try loosening the top nut to see if that gets it going then. But first rule out the other things.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

geoffmjones

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 17 2018, 22:04 »
Thanks Yngmar,
It's a Lewmar autopilot, so two chains under the binnacle, one steering arm to the rudder shaft. I've tried to release the bottle screw on the chain that's locked but can't budge it! So much fun working through the binnacle access hole!

I already released the collar on the rudder shaft. I'm pretty sure that's going to be a bearing problem so she's coming out anyway.

Can you direct me toward any resource that might guide me through checking the autopilot

Many thanks again

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 18 2018, 01:38 »
Geoff,

I've had the Lewmar Autopilot replaced twice now on my Bav38 2010 model. ( down production line in Dec 2009) . Typically the Lewmar problem on the autopilots was the clutch not engaging, rather than being stuck on. Lewmar have recognised this problem and hopefully, have fixed it. More likely to be a bearing problem. If no, check the quadrant or possibly a line caught around the top of the rudder.

I think you have the same, or similar binnacle and autopilot set up I have. Easiest way to check the autopilot is to open the back of the binnacle and unscrew the chain going to the autopilot. Then turn the helm to see if you have free movement. If so, then you may have a problem with the auto-pilot. If you still don't have movement, then likely to be a bearing problem.

To remove the auto-pilot, you will have to remove the ceiling of your aft cabin to get to the bottom of the auto-pilot motor to remove. This is a relatively easy job.

Putting the chain back on is a mongrel job. You need to ensure that the chain connector is properly positioned so that you can move the wheel from lock to lock without the connector running over a cog.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #4 on: June 18 2018, 08:58 »
If the issue was just bearings you would likely have had some stiffness in advance of sticking, and even then you would probably have been able to force a turn. My money is on the autopilot.

geoffmjones

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: June 18 2018, 16:41 »
Thanks for all input, I've narrowed it down to the bearing and been able to 'man handle' a few turns. Delighted to have some movement, (even if it has cost one chain tensioner!)  now I need to try to loosen it up enough to get down the Thames to Chatham for her haul out...