Author Topic: Techimpex cooker width.  (Read 3678 times)

Boatname

Techimpex cooker width.
« on: March 25 2018, 16:56 »
Could someone please actually measure the width of their cooker for me?

My boat is a 2001 34 but I believe one size fits all.

PLEASE don’t refer to any documentation ... an actual measurement is required.

Many thanks.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Techimpex cooker width.
« Reply #1 on: March 25 2018, 18:49 »
The cutout takes a nominal 500mm cooker. The actual dimensions of the cooker are not critical within a few mm as the gimbals vary. The only cooker that will fit directly in is another Techimpex although a Neptune or Spinflo will both fit the cutout with their gimbals. However, these have grills and are taller so stick above the worktop. The Dometic range will also fit and I believe they have one model without a grill which is probably low enough to fit under the height of the worktop.

I replaced mine with a Neptune without grill but this is no longer made.

Hope this helps.

Boatname

« Reply #2 on: March 25 2018, 21:35 »
Appreciate all you said and thanks but I have already purchased my new cooker and have had real problems fitting it.

I intend to write an article for this forum to help others in the future but really need the ACTUAL width of the original Techimpex, not the published one.

Cheers

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 25 2018, 22:12 »
Ours (2 burner, looks like your photo), is exactly 500mm at the widest part of the body, not including the gimbals.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Boatname

« Reply #4 on: March 25 2018, 22:24 »
Brilliant thanks. So that explains the beginning of my problems. The Techimpex page below shows 450mm wide (plus gimbals) which is why I bought a new 450mm cooker ...  that required wooden packers to mount the brackets!!

Why didn’t I measure the Techimpex cooker first?

Fell into the trap of firstly believing the dimensions quoted (450mm wide) then believing that 450 was a standard width as the NEW one is 450mm.

Boatname

« Reply #5 on: March 25 2018, 22:35 »
PS, just a teaser photo, here is my new Nelson cooker in place. Complete with grill. Both 450 wide?

Look at the gap between the Nelson and the hole for the Techimpex shoot bolt bottom right then compare with my first photo.

Current problem is that the Nelson clamps don’t.

The measurement between the clamps has ts to be EXACTLY 455mm, not something they tell you.

Boatname

« Reply #6 on: June 13 2018, 00:18 »
OK I promised a feedback but as I cant find Nelson cookers in my local chandlers this is probably a waste of time.

Summary:

Original cooker 500mm wide

Nelson Spinflo 450 mm wide

Packing brackets made, see photos

Gimbals won't lock, when cooker door opened the bottom swings forward and there is a risk of anything on the hob spilling.

Numerous emails to Nelson resulted in the unpublished figure of 455mm required between the mounting brackets.

Shimmed packing brackets

Gimbals still won't lock. Really cant see how they could. The cooker is just about an interference fit between the mounting brackets but minimal friction. Why would you want friction? The cooker would slowly wear away. The mounting brackets are far too thick to distort inwards so even turning the ridiculous eared locks as tight as you dare does nothing.

Made a a packer to fit a bolt at the bottom as per the Techimpex and cut down a shoot bolt to 30mm. Drilled into the side of the cooker.

Now it locks.

Challenged Nelson to film a 10 second video of a Spinflo locked in place but er, um, not sure we can do that.

They are now info@thetford-spinflo.eu, so that's THETFORD SPINFLO NELSON which I hope makes this show up in any future searches.

New/old cooker photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/139059806@N03/2705h5

Previous reported problems from just one forum:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/139059806@N03/WzG463

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 13 2018, 22:55 »
Well if my cooker ever gives up the ghost I, at least, know which one I won't be buying.

Sorry for your troubles but at least it may have helped some others.
Thanks
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46