Author Topic: Exhaust muffler  (Read 2473 times)

JVS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Exhaust muffler
« on: May 03 2018, 21:38 »
Replacing my Volvo muffler with a vetus...  has anyone done this on a Bavaria 44???
"Wasting Time In A Serious Way"

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Exhaust muffler
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2018, 11:48 »
I did it on a 36 - do not see a reason that the boat length would matter as the configuration is probably almost the same on all models.
One thing - in terms of noise the Vetus  muffler is a bit louder than the original - not too much that it bothered me. They have an additional muffler to fit towards the end of the exhaust if you want it to be really quiet.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2018, 04:48 »
Replaced my Volvo muffler with a cheapo plastic job purchased from my favourite chandler for around £60 about a year and a half back. It works a treat with no hiccups throughout the 60 hours or so of engine running time so far. It was significantly cheaper than a plastic Vetus too, and did the job without need for an additional silencing device. Out of concern about whether going plastic rather than remaining with an expensive part stainless steel and part rubber Volvo silencer might be a step into the unknown, I fitted a NASA Exhaust Temperature Monitor. Over the last year or so since the monitor was fitted, I have not seen exhaust temperatures higher than some 28C to 30C, though this is obviously much dependant on sea temperature and an adequate flow of cooling water from the sea  inlet in the saildrive which can get clogged by mussels and other undesirables.

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2018, 17:01 »
I have installed a Vetus last june 2017, on my 1997 B35, as the original Volvo started to leak.
About 70 engine hours after all is good and it costed 1/3 of the original Volvo.
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 08 2018, 19:57 »
We are in Mexico and opted to have a new one constructed. The stainless caps were used as molds to make new fiberglass ones and a new rubber hose fitting  put on as well. Works a charm. No more corrosion!

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 09 2018, 01:44 »
Replaced corroded Volvo muffler with a cheap plastic muffler on a Bav 38,  2010 model.

Only issue was that we had to change the exhaust hose from the engine to the muffler as the new plastic muffler was longer than the volvo muffler.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia