Author Topic: jackstays on B32 (2002)  (Read 2365 times)

stone687

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
jackstays on B32 (2002)
« on: May 31 2018, 21:17 »
What is the best position for jackstays on a B32?

All suggestions gratefully received

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: jackstays on B32 (2002)
« Reply #1 on: May 31 2018, 22:47 »
There are many different ways of running jackstays and much depends on personal preference. For example there are some who advocate them running along the coachroof an d then down the middles of the foredeck. Then some prefer wire and others webbing. Your boat does not have dedicated fixings for jackstays so your first choice is whether you use existing deck hardware for attachment or instal u bolts fore and aft (or over the coachroof). You also have to decide if they are going to be permanent or only attached for certain types of passages.

Having said all that the most common set up seems to use detachable webbing stays attached to the mooring cleats fore and aft. This is what I have used on both my Bavarias - an older 37 and a new 33. I use the adjustable type available from many chandlers such as Force 4 for about £40 a pair. The cleat layout is much the same on most models and this would work on your boat.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #2 on: June 01 2018, 06:33 »
I’ve had both wire and webbing jackstays, and couldn’t get rid of the wire ones fast enough. Stepping off the coach roof down onto the side decks, the wire jackstays tended to roll underfoot which was very disconcerting and used to give me that feeling of “look out water, I’m on my way.”
So I’m really glad I changed to webbing. 

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 03 2018, 07:17 »
Most definitely webbing is recommended. Also so they are continuous from aft to foredeck. While you can use double hooks so you can get around obstacles (shrouds), it is better if you can walk the entire distance without having to hook and unhook. There is a school of thought that you should not be able to move along the jack stays to the rear without stopping. personally if I was in the water on the end of a tether I would prefer to be swept along the boat and end up behind rather than along side and being bashed against the hull! Only had one near miss and on that occasion did not get outside the rails. Best strategy is to stay on the dry bits!

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #4 on: June 03 2018, 09:20 »
Best strategy is to stay on the dry bits!

Cheers

As a non swimmer, I couldn’t agree more 😎