Author Topic: Fuel Consumption for various Volvo engines  (Read 5535 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Fuel Consumption for various Volvo engines
« on: June 07 2018, 01:12 »
Guys,

Not sure if you have seen this site.

It shows the fuel consumption per hour for various Volvo engines at different revs. I know this is an estimate and results will vary depending on prop installed, wind/sea state and weather you are motor/sailing.

The figures for the D1-30 appear spot on for flat water, no wind conditions.

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/volvo-penta-diesel-d1-30-fuel-consumption-liters

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Fuel Consumption for various Volvo engines
« Reply #1 on: June 07 2018, 16:50 »
That is based on the engine being fully loaded so producing maximum power at the chosen revs. It is a simple calculation from the power curves using the power output and specific fuel consumption for the revs. With a boat this only occurs at close to maximum revs if the prop is correct. So it tends to overstate at revs lower than the maximum because the prop will not need full power at lower revs, at least in flat water as you say. Given that boating is usually in mixed conditions it does give a good guide, although if you have long periods of motoring in flat conditions average consumption will be less than indicated.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Fuel Consumption for various Volvo engines
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2018, 17:13 »
Just for interest, I installed a new D1-30 last year with 2 blade prop and have been monitoring engine hours closely. This season from a full tank I have done 20 hrs, mostly fairly flat conditions. Filled up from a 20l container and could only get 19l into tank. So 1l/hr on average. I motor typically at 1800 to 2000rpm ( c6Kn); lower going in and out of marina and towards mooring locations. I was expecting to put in c:30l based on the attached link which I had found last year.