Author Topic: Raymarine Autopilot EV-200 Type 1 Linear Drive  (Read 5661 times)

SV_Calisto

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Raymarine Autopilot EV-200 Type 1 Linear Drive
« on: January 13 2018, 23:41 »
Hi,  Has anyone fitted the Raymarine  Evolution EV-200 Autopilot packs with the type 1 linear drive to a Bav 37 or 38 and if so what extra cables did you need and have you a photo of the linear drive mounting?

Thanks

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Raymarine Autopilot EV-200 Type 1 Linear Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 16 2018, 18:30 »
I just replaced the drive and remained with the original ST4000+ head.
There is some info here describing my experience
http://www.sylyra.com/linear_drive_installation_e.php
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: January 16 2018, 19:02 »
Hi Lyra
Very interesting article but, slightly off-topic, your article mentions a Rasp. Pi Plotter. That's something I've been seriously thinking about recently. Have you recorded it anywhere that I can have a little read of?
Cheers
Mark
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 16 2018, 22:59 »
I just replaced the drive and remained with the original ST4000+ head.
There is some info here describing my experience
http://www.sylyra.com/linear_drive_installation_e.php

That's fascinating Lyra, many thanks.
Shortly after buying my ex charter B36(2002) which had no autopilot, I purchased an SPX5 Wheelpilot system. I fitted it and it has worked pretty well for the kind of sailing I do, mostly singlehanded and fair weather only. However it is quite noisy in use, and I've been a little concerned on occasion that it might not have enough grunt to handle anything other than fair weather conditions. So of late I have been considering whether to go for an under deck auto pilot system, but have been put off by the thought of spending out the best part of £3k on a complete change of system. Your suggestion that the type 1 Linear drive power requirements can be handled by the electronics for the ST4000 system and that the later SPX5 could probably do the same, means that I should be able to upgrade for considerably fewer beer vouchers than it would cost for a complete new system. I think it is at least worth a try.
Does your Type 1 Linear drive make any noticeable amount of noise while in use that you can hear from the cockpit area ?

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 17 2018, 05:44 »
Hi Mark,

Checked again the link that I posted - I do not know how you got to the Raspberry Pi article (which is in Hebrew).
Anyhow - if you somehow got lost in th esite - press the UK flag and then  the "sailing" tab - there is a link on the right side for the linear drive replacement.

Regarding the Raspberry pi plotter, I did not translate it, but the original info I used is English anyhow.
I suggest you read the following blog:
https://melgrubb.com/2016/12/11/rphs-v2-introduction/ - the first 4-5 chapters are what you need for basic set up of the RPI

Then read this one:
http://www.agurney.com/raspberry-pi/pi-chart  which provides the procedure to set up OpenCPN as the plotter.

One thing that I added is a real time clock module - this info is also available on the net - there should be a way to do it without a RTC module and use the GPS clock.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 17 2018, 05:57 »
Hi Salty,

The linear drive is absolutely quiet - you hear nothing from the cockpit (actually you hear almost nothing even if you are inside the aft cabins)
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: January 17 2018, 08:42 »
Thanks Lyra, that's exactly the kind of noise level I like to hear 😎

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: January 17 2018, 11:25 »
"...Checked again the link that I posted - I do not know how you got to the Raspberry Pi article (which is in Hebrew)..."

Hi Lyra

No, I didn't get to the Raspberry Pi article, it was just a mention in the last line before the bottom photo (cockpit) in your linear drive article. It says 'Raspberry Pi Plotter' or something like that, but it leapt out at me as I have beeen thinking about making one as a project this year so thanks for the further links. Good 'drive' article though - I had wondered what I was going to do with my spare 'spare' time this year...

Cheers
ATB

Mark

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 04 2018, 10:13 »
Hi All,  B37 2006. I fitted an EV200 with a lewmar rotary drive, it fitted directly to my helm.  There were mounts and a spare sprocket on the wheel shaft, easy and works very well.  The EV is a really great pilot, integrates into the instruments to alloy wind vane or course tracking.
Richard