Author Topic: Stress cracks foredeck  (Read 2565 times)

Philippe

• Swab
Stress cracks foredeck
« on: February 08 2017, 07:37 »
Good morning everyone,

I'm about to buy a Bavaria 42 from 1999 (model 2000). When inspecting the deck some cracks gave me second thoughts (see pictures). What is your opinion about this?

Thank you very much for your input!

Philippe

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Stress cracks foredeck
« Reply #1 on: February 08 2017, 11:07 »
Did you stand on the deck in front of it and see if it creaks or bounces if you hop around a bit? Also, knock on it with a piece of timber or your knuckles (might hurt a bit on the non-slip - have to knock fairly hard when using knuckles). If the area sounds hollow compared to elsewhere, it may be delaminated.

The core is closed cell foam, so the damage from water ingress is very limited - it will not rot or absorb water and delamination can be repaired (although difficult here as AFAIK no access from below in that particular area and top is non-slip patterned), but it's certainly something to show the surveyor and a significant factor when deciding your bid.

If it doesn't bounce or sound hollow, it's probably fine and just needs a bit of gelcoat filler. Maybe something heavy (anchor?) has been dropped there once.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: February 08 2017, 11:12 »
Hi Phillipe.
 It does look a bit like the deck is flexing around the hatch or an issue with the gelcoat during manufacture. Either way it would make me wary. Have you got as far as a survey? If so, what is their opinion?............Bill

Philippe

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: February 08 2017, 12:08 »
Thank you for your comments!

Did you stand on the deck in front of it and see if it creaks or bounces if you hop around a bit?

Yes, I have been hopping around the area, but no unusual cracking or deformation was observable. I will try the knocking the next time I'll be there.

Have you got as far as a survey?

No, we are still discussing particulars of the sales agreement.