Author Topic: Honda EU2200i to run the Webasto FCF 9000  (Read 3118 times)

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
Honda EU2200i to run the Webasto FCF 9000
« on: February 23 2018, 23:35 »
Looking for expert advise.  Webasto pointed me to Honda and Honda pointed me to Webasto.

I don't have a gen-set and would like to run the Webasto FCF 9000 (9000 BTU) AC unit at night at anchor. 

The new (to be released in March-April 2018) increases the wattage from 2,000 to 2,200W max, and at 115V, that is 19A.  But, per the Webasto technical information, the starting surge is 36.5A.  The suggested breaker of the Webasto is 15A. 

Does anyone have a Webasto FCF 9000 and running it on a 2000W generator? 

I would appreciate any feedback.

S.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

B40-Lefkas

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B40
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Honda EU2200i to run the Webasto FCF 9000
« Reply #1 on: February 24 2018, 09:22 »
Hi Stuart,

I should work. I have successfully run a 7,000 btu Cruisair marine a/c on a 1000W Honda EU10i.  Can't say I liked it because of the noise and fumes bothering other boats. I used that in the Caribbean when we were in isolated bays and with a nice 20kn trade wind all night. You may get a lot of responses that it's unsafe because of the carbon monoxide fumes, but plenty of people take that option. They mount it downwind (such as on the bathing platform) and have a CO monitor onboard. I never registered any CO while using it. I am looking now at a large battery bank to run a much smaller unit cooling only one cabin. Also a challenge, but like you I don't want to spend €10,000 on a genset.

Good luck
Chris

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: February 24 2018, 14:15 »
Hi.. I don't have experience with your application but have in sizing and using industrial generators starting and running large industrial plant. (principals are same)

The other comments from B40-Lefkas are very valid too.

From a electrical point of view.
Generators need to sized to suit the greatest starting load they will experience in this case 36.5A + A factor for duty cycle

A 2kw or even 2.2kw generator is simply not big enough to be a long term reliable solution - you may get away with it working for a while but you'll over load the generator every time it starts or restarts.

You don't mention the running current so I cant calc the generator size required - you can plug your numbers in to these two web calculators.

see this online calculator and motor data
http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Power_Calculator.aspx
https://www.rm-electrical.com/technical/motor-motor-current-charts/ (from US web sites)

from your info
115v at 35.6A = 3.32kw.

its the starting current (35.6A) that need to get the loading running, but once its running needs a lot less power to keep it running.

The 15A circuit breaker would be a 'type C' which is designed to allow for higher startup motor currents for a short time.
the suggested 15A is the overload current rating (ie normal running current protection).

I hope this helps

B40-Lefkas

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 25 2018, 15:05 »
Quite right. You could try to reduce that startup current with a soft start capacitor. Many use this model but there is probably an official one from Webasto.

https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE

The Webasto should draw about 7 amps when running so that is OK if you can handle the starting load.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 26 2018, 08:47 »
I don't want to get into the expert talks regarding starting current, etc. but I am worried about this:
Quote:
I don't have a gen-set and would like to run the Webasto FCF 9000 (9000 BTU) AC unit at night at anchor. 
Unquote

You will make lots of friends in quiet anchor bays with a generator running all night ;-) I believe the Honda has to stay on deck due to exhaust fumes. I can imagine the entire boat will pick up the vibration of the Honda, so your sleep will be pretty uncomfortable.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 27 2018, 00:27 »
I had a 4kW installed genset on my boat from new. It crapped out trying to run these A/C units. I bought a 7kW unit installed in the aft locker - it works fine. I can run all three A/C units if I want (hardly ever do though).

I am not an engineer but I cannot see a 1 or 2 kW unit being any use for this application. I will defer to the above experts.

I live in the Caribbean all winter - when there is a 20knt trade wind blowing (most of the time) at anchor you simply do not need any A/C - simply open the hatches and the temperature is perfectly acceptable.  If you need a 20knt wind to blow away the exhaust you are just burning diesel for no reason and creating a noise nuisance for yourself and everyone around you. In over 15 years of short term and now 3 years of long term (4 months at a time) cruising in the Caribbean I can tell you that I have heard an external/portable genset at night maybe twice .... and I anchor out 90% of the time.

f you want A/C I'm afraid you need to stump up the cash for a decent genset. Probably not a popular answer but there you go

Cheers from a mild Grenada
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46