Author Topic: Creaking Bulk Heads - Bavaria 44 2004  (Read 2873 times)

antrob

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 44 - 4Cabin
  • Boat Year: 2004
Creaking Bulk Heads - Bavaria 44 2004
« on: March 04 2018, 10:54 »
There is a very annoying creaking noise which has kept occupants of both rear cabins awake when rolling at anchor even in very calm conditions.  I think this is coming from the bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment, back of wardrobe, and under the bed, I could see adjoining pieces of wood moving relative to each other, which I secured with additional screws, however I think this just moved the creak somewhere else.  Anyone have any experience in eradicating this problem?

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Creaking Bulk Heads - Bavaria 44 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 04 2018, 17:09 »
Bob has posted the fix I think, search Island alchemy. ;)
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

antrob

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: March 04 2018, 18:24 »
Thanks for this, I found a number of posts from Islandalchemy, but unfortunately I couldn't find one on this subject.

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 04 2018, 18:32 »
Here it is. The thread is Bavaria 34 Cruiser Creaking Bulkheads

The bulkheads don't float.  They look like they do, but they are glassed-in at the top.  Some of them site in slots at the bottom though.

The creaking is usually bits of wood moving against each other, not against the fibreglass.  Easy solutions are:- oil (olive oil or similar) which lubricates it and stops the creaking, or more permanently epoxy/microballoon fillets (which glue them together).

The door frames are just screwed in with a bead of clear silicone (to stop them creaking). These are often the cause of creaks when rolling.  The door frames are easilly removed.  A few of my doors became difficult to shut where the bulkheads had expanded slightly and were creaking, so I removed the frames, planed down the edges of the bulkheads and replaced the doors.  This has stopped almost all of the creaking I had in the boat.

antrob

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: March 04 2018, 19:43 »
Thank you very much.  That gives me a good place to get started!