Author Topic: Setting up a cruising chute on a b32 (2002)  (Read 5433 times)

stone687

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Setting up a cruising chute on a b32 (2002)
« on: January 06 2018, 18:39 »
I have a cruising chute with a sock on my B32 - but never deployed because I cannot see where to attach the foot or the tack.  I assume the top of the sail attaches to spinnaker halyard.
Since I am new to sailing and the depth of my knowledge is very shallow please could any answers be as free from jargon as possible.  Many thanks. David

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Re: Setting up a cruising chute on a b32 (2002)
« Reply #1 on: January 06 2018, 22:49 »
There are several postings regarding flying your chute/spinnaker while using something that is called an "ATN Tacker." If you go to the "Home" page and type ATN into the search box it will lead you to those postings. Also if you type ATN tacker into your browser search engine it will take you to a site where there is a short video showing you what a tacker looks like and how it is used. I have one, and have used it while sailing single handed. The video shows how it is connected up and how remarkably easy it is to use. It also shows how to use a sock with your chute/spinnaker.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2018, 10:40 »
I would just like to add that you should not try to attach the foot of the sail to the anchor roller unless you are sure that the anchor roller is firmly attached to the lower hull else you may just lift the front part of your deck  ::)

note: the above advice is no admission on my part that I actually did this once  ::) >:D

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 07 2018, 11:43 »
Attaching the tack to the bow roller or if you have one to a hole in one of the cheeks is fine. The bow roller is very firmly attached to the same stemhead fitting as the forestay. Ideally you should get the tack as far forward as possible, so a short bowsprit such as the Selden prodder is oftn recommended. However, it is expensive and for the typical usage of a cruising chute in light airs is a bit OTT.

I am just rigging my 33 (latest type) for a chute on a furler and am going to attach the tack to a U bolt that goes through the teak pad on the pulpit cross bar, which is braced down to the forestay fitting. It needs a bit of modification to cut the bracing strut off the cross bar, modify it so that the legs of the U bolt go through it and then strengthen the strut, which is currently in two parts slotted together before bolting it back onto the forestay fitting. The latest versions of my boat have a tack fitting incorporated in the bow roller.

Can't recall exactly what your bow rolle, forestay fitting and pulpit are like exactly, but you may be able to do a similar thing to my modification.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 07 2018, 15:28 »
On my b37 (2006) the roller is not attached to the forestay anchor. However, that may be different on the b32  ::)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: January 08 2018, 08:06 »
I fit the foot of my gennaker on a fixed walk-on bowsprit. The walk-on bowsprit comes also handy in approaching natural harbours. - see attached photo -

If you are interested in this kind of modification, you may not have to brake the bank
https://www.svb24.com/en/bowsprit.html or
https://www.hjertmans.se/produkter/inredning-dacksutrustning/peken-badplattformar/peken/multimarine-peke-med-ankarrulle-115x52cm.

Regards,

Tommi

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #6 on: January 08 2018, 11:18 »
also interested in getting a chute but unsure where i can attach the tack, it must have some provision as i have a spinnaker halyard :O 

i was thinking of an atn tacker with the tack attached to the circled strong hold?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 08 2018, 13:43 »
If you look at my earlier post showing the bow roller there are two turning blocks attached to an o-ring. This o-ring has a threaded hole and is attached to  the forespar anchor point by removing one of the securing nuts. When I had an ATN tacker I used the turning block to bring the tack line down and attached it to the forward cleat. Once you know the length of the tack line (ie the bottom of the ATN tacker clears the rails of the pushpit) you can make a permanent loop for ease of attaching/removing.

stone687

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #8 on: February 21 2018, 22:32 »
Thank you for all your replies.  Most useful.  David

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #9 on: February 22 2018, 11:56 »
. Slightly off topic, but I found this video really helpful with using a cruising chute and snuffer.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFAzEc1UTaw