Author Topic: Bavaria 30 crusier Listing to Starboard  (Read 2724 times)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
Bavaria 30 crusier Listing to Starboard
« on: March 29 2018, 15:24 »
I've noticed that my Bav 30 cruiser sits on the water listing to starboard is this a common occurrence on this model?

As the Diesel tank is on the starboard side  I'm guessing it's worse when the diesel tank is full and maybe the water tank is not, however, recently I've noticed that when underway on engine she pulls to starboard and this becomes worst the more power i put on.

Has anyone else had this issue and could it be something more serious that a balance issue between the tanks.

Thanks

Derek

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 30 crusier Listing to Starboard
« Reply #1 on: March 29 2018, 18:21 »
I'd say it's a common issue with boats. Achieving good weight trim is tricky, with boats being equipped asymmetrically. There's batteries, tanks with varying levels and kit to consider - and on smaller boats where the crew is sitting.

Moving tanks and batteries around is impractical, but shifting things around in lockers and on deck is very doable and can make a big difference in how they behave at sea (fore/aft trim more than port/starboard though).

To test if your pulling to starboard is related to weight trim, simply sit the crew on the opposite rail until the boat is level. Or lash some jerrycans with water on the rail if you're short on crew. If it turns out to be a problem, move things around until it goes away. A locker full of food weighs quite a bit (and in our case offsets the weight from a large battery bank on the other side).

Happy trimming! :)
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Harmony

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 yacht
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 02 2018, 22:27 »
For many years now I have used 25 kg bags of ballast obtained from builders merchants to trim my boats. Stored below deck in any available space in the required positions port or starboard, aft or stern, it is quite amazing how effective this is in adjusting the weight distribution. I have 3 bags currently installed on my Bav 32!

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 03 2018, 11:26 »
I've noticed that my Bav 30 cruiser sits on the water listing to starboard is this a common occurrence on this model?

As the Diesel tank is on the starboard side  I'm guessing it's worse when the diesel tank is full and maybe the water tank is not, however, recently I've noticed that when underway on engine she pulls to starboard and this becomes worst the more power i put on.

Has anyone else had this issue and could it be something more serious that a balance issue between the tanks.

Thanks

Derek

your diesel tank, heads tank (if fitted), batteries, and the large locker full of all your sailing paraphernalia is on that side, the only thing offsetting all that weight port side is your water tank really ;)

that said i dont really notice anything with performance / listing under power with my bav30 cruiser but then again depends what were all keeping in that copious locker / how many batteries one has.