Author Topic: Exchanging Bavaria supplied Seacocks/thru-hulls with Trudesign Plastics  (Read 3568 times)

tomgaeb

• Swab
Hi,
I plan to swap the original waste and toilet suppy valves/thru-hulls with the trudesign versions - as some posting here on the forum already did.

While shopping for the items I noticed that the Trudesign 1 1/2" (waste water) valve only has a 32mm clearance at the ball in the valve - versus the valve that Bavaria used with 38mm.

As this is quite a difference in surface (about 30%) and making the valve the narrowest spot in the system I was wondering if this has caused any issues with others or can just be ignored.

Also I was wondering if the load bearing collars are a strongly suggested item or if you installed without them.

Thanks
Thomas

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
I bought 3/4 inch TruDesign to replace the water intake valves but realised they were the wrong size for my Bav 39 before I dismantled the old ones - sent them back for refund and going to double check the correct size I need next time in Greece. Was concerned about the distance between water inlet and waste outlet valves as the TruDesign are quite bulky compared to the old brass ones - another I’m double checking next time on the boat. Have you double checked the waste outlet is 1+1/2 and not 2inch?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Thomas, I fitted the Trudesign on my B37 (2006) heads outlet and have not had any issue with it. I strengthened the collar fittings by using a soft plastic cutting board (see attached).

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
I've used the load bearing collars and made backing plates from sheet HDPE to get to the prescribed thickness. No problems with blocking at the valve, but the 90° elbows on some of them (as originally fitted too) were nothing but trouble and in hindsight I wish I had rerouted the hoses and used straight hosetails instead. The one blockage we had was at the elbow and they're also annoying to align and keep in position without leaking. PTFE tape was utterly useless and I ended up using Sikaflex to seal and hold them in alignment.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

solar

Thanks guys,very good info.

Can you confirm please the sizes of the new Trudesign thru hulls as 3/4 and 11/2 for a 2008 38" Bav?
Maybe you have their catalog numbers for ordering including the load bearing collars and the valves?
TIA

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
................PTFE tape was utterly useless and I ended up using Sikaflex to seal and hold them in alignment.

Suggest you try Loctite 55 pipe joint sealing cord. It's made from PTFE, but looks like thin string, and you don't need very much of it to seal a connection. Best to try some of it out before you start the actual job of fitting the skin fittings to the valves to the hose tails. Unlike thread tape where you may have to use several layers to get the joint to seal, this stuff will do the job with just a few turns in a single layer. But do try it first to get the hang of it. The Loctite dispensers come with a thread cutting device which makes cutting the cord easy.

I agree that the valves are significantly more bulky than those originally fitted, and on my B36(2002) when it came to fitting the 1.5 inch heads overboard valve and skin fitting, it was quite a performance because the 90 degree hose tail could not be fitted last as it would not clear the edge of the cupboard door under the wash basin. It meant attaching the 90 degree hose tail to the valve and tightening the elbow into place, then while one person held the valve/elbow assembly close to the hole for the skin fitting, the skin fitting was then passed through the hull and the internal washer and securing nut then screwed loosely on to the valve/elbow assembly and for the skin fitting to be turned and tightened into position. Then the skin fitting securing nut was finally tightened into place. I used copious amounts of sealant, and today when the job was finally completed after the sealant applied last week had hardened, I used a high pressure hose to squirt water at the hull fittings and up inside them to the shut valves, and there were no leaks. . . . . . . . . so far !!

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
@Solar, I think mine are 1inch and either 1+1/2 inch or 2 inch on my Bav 39  which are likely to be the same on the 38 but will triple check next month when I get to the boat. Got a refund on the 3/4inch ones which were too small

solar

Thanks Ziffius,
Will not be on my boat till late Apr.
Please let me know what you'll find.
Any 38" owners have info on sizes?