Author Topic: AIS on Garmin radio  (Read 3023 times)

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
AIS on Garmin radio
« on: January 20 2018, 05:04 »
Our Vision 42 came with the Garmin 300 AIS radio. This has the receive only AIS and shows up on our
Garmin chart plotter.
I would like to add transmit side to the ASI. Has anyone with the Garmin 300 AIS VHF successfully added
an AIS transmit to this radio.

I know there is off the shelf systems available but worried which ones work with Garmin system.

Cheers
Club 56

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: AIS on Garmin radio
« Reply #1 on: January 20 2018, 11:37 »
You don't "add" AIS transmit to the Garmin radio; an AIS transponder is a totally separate independent device with its own GPS receiver.  You could install any AIS transponder, it doesn't need to interface with Garmin.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 20 2018, 19:35 »
Tiger is spot on. You need to add the transponder to the garmin network there is a good video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlhn1wcXfBI

best regards Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 22 2018, 02:30 »
Club 56,

Assuming that your Vision 42 is similar to my Vision 46 electronics, Garmin AIS600 will give you what you need.  But, you will need to keep your AIS300 for the VHF.  The antenna is dual but will need to be moved from the AIS300 to the AIS600.  Garmin AIS600 has all the parts you need and you basically will use all of the parts in the box.  I moved the AIS300, replacing it with the AIS600 so all the cables are the correct length.  Then, you cable it exactly as instructed.  It took less than 1 hour to install the new unit.  I installed the AIS300 upside down immediately above the panel/door which is a much better location that the original location.

I also installed a "silent" switch which I purchased from a hardware store for less than $5.  I hid the silent switch in the cabinet to the right of the "nav" station in the white 1/4" thick panel.  Strange thing with the silent switch is if you turn it to silent when the power is on, you need to cycle the power if turning off the silent mode. 

I assumed that the AIS600 would replace the AIS300, but because it doesn't have the VHF, it has to be an add-on. 

The instruction said the "flow-through" antenna would not be degraded but I believe I did lose some distance with the VHF.  Otherwise, it works perfectly.

Garmin's site does have the manuals for download as with all their products.

If you have any questions, send a PM.

S.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 24 2018, 14:27 »
I did the same as Sophia B. Don’t forget to turn off the AIS receive function in the 300i if you fit the 600i   It’s in the 300 menu.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46