Author Topic: Fresh water system plumbing Vision 46 - Preventative Maintenance suggestion  (Read 3210 times)

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
This is advice on a problem I encountered on my boat 2014 Vision 46 but it might apply to other boats too depending on how the fresh water plumbing is run.

My plumbing running aft to the transom shower from the main saloon bilges where the hot water tank and pressure pump are located runs very close to the engine room. In my case I had noticed a very small leak from the fresh water system. The pressure pump was priming about every minute so I knew I had a leak somewhere. Finally tracked it down to the cold water pipe (blue) which had been sitting on top of the hot water heating hose that runs from the engine cooling system through the hot water tank. This is just under the companion way steps and under the cabin sole boards between the main bilge and the engine bilge. Open the companion way steps and look forwards under the floorboards.

The heat (and probably some minor chafe too) had caused a thin spot to form in the hard plastic (HDPE) pipe and it was weeping through and about to burst I should think. The hot water pipe (red) was cable tied to it and was also in a similar state but not yet leaking. I bought two 15mm push fit in line connectors, cut out the damaged 20mm of each pipe, rejoined and, most importantly, slightly rerouted both the pipes away from the hot engine hoses all sorted.

Might be worth checking in case you might end up with all your fresh water in the bilge one day.

Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Thanks for the tip. I have not found a leak but notice that the pump momentarily comes on from pressure reduction. Although I have had to renew the inline filter situated at the intake side of the fresh water pump. It leaked from the clear plastic cover which is removable to clean the filter. Whale pumps have been excellent in replacing free of charge and being able to contact them for advice and technical information. Bavaria could do with taking a lesson from them.

Kibo

• Old Salt
Hi Steve,

If your pump is priming regularly due to pressure reduction it means you probably have a very minor leak somewhere. Have you checked the transom shower fitting - they are notorious for coming loose and are a screw fitting connector rather than the quick push fit type.
Ian

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
Ian,

I will be checking BOTH!

My pump comes on periodically (sometimes after 4-5 hours) for a fraction of a second.  Because the leak would would have to be so slow to cause this, and since I have no water anywhere, I didn't even know where to start without some crazy isolation process.

But, the aft shower is a perfect place to start.  I may add some shutoff valves to confirm this is the issue and then leave them in place since we don't use the shower that often.  I have had concerns since if there was a leak we won't know it until all water was just about emptied from the tanks due to the location.

Also, do you know where to source these hot/cold lines?  West Marine has soft lines with reinforcement which make the outer surface not flat possibly causing leaks with the fittings.

Thanks again Ian!

Stuart
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
Hi Stuart,

I sourced the lines in Guadeloupe last month, but they only had white in stock but very similar build so I bought a few feet as backup along with the push fit fittings. I do not know of any in the USA. It is most likely to be a European product since they are 15mm OD. I had my daughter look for some in Lowes and Homedepot but they were not the right size being Imperial rather than metric.

Good luck with isolating a small leak, its a pain as you say. I burned out a fresh water pump a few years ago because the transom shower was leaking slowly and all my fresh water ended up in the bilge when we were out for the day - was a large pain I can tell you ! New pump and had to go refill with water since it was my previous boat with no watermaker.. Now I carry a spare fresh water pump too !
Ian

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Whale pumps in Northern Ireland manufactured the pump fitted to my Vision 42 they also supply the hot and cold flexible pipe and fittings.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Here in the UK I bought a plastic push fit isolating valve to fit into my fresh water plumbing system from my local plumbing stockist. It fitted a treat and has allowed me to isolate the forward fresh water tank. While the valve is not the plastic pipe you are looking for, it stands to reason that if the plumbers merchant sells a valve that will fit, you can be sure they will also sell the plastic pipe that fits that valve !!