Author Topic: vision 46  (Read 3538 times)

Maurice

• Swab
vision 46
« on: August 02 2017, 20:55 »
Hi I am new to this forum not sure if I am in the right place.
I am looking for some owners review on the vision 46 as I am considering maybe buying one. We are a couple going to sail the Med. Many thanks Maurice

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: vision 46
« Reply #1 on: August 03 2017, 15:44 »
Hi,

We have owned our 2014 Vision 46 from new. My wife and I liveaboard for 4 months in the winter based in the Caribbean - currently Grenada.

We really like our boat, it is spacious and comfortable both at anchor, in the marina and in a seaway although we did add a few hand holds down below in the form of hanging straps (think subway car style) since my wife is only 5'2" and could not reach the overhead rails down below easily. We also added grab handle bars to the wheel pedestals for better seaway support.

We upgraded a few things from the standard boat. Roller furling on both headsail and main (in mast). All electric winches (5), aircon, genset, upgraded fridge freezer, electric heads, hot water system etc. We also added dinghy davits, solar panels and a wind generator to help with power management.

We have the three cabin version with 2 heads. We use the smaller aft starboard cabin as a storage lazerette when we liveaboard but our son has used it as a cabin in the past (he is 24 now)

Overall I find the build quality is satisfactory for the market price point that Bavaria offers. It is obviously not an Oyster but I recently sailed a Jeanneau 50DS from The Solent to Gibraltar and the Bavaria is made of far better quality fittings than that boat as a not-very-scientific comparison....

This is our 3rd Bavaria yacht having previously owned Cruiser 35 and Cruiser 42

I would not hesitate to recommend the Vision 46.

Let me know if you have specific questions

Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 08 2017, 13:17 »
Any of the Bavarias from the 2 cabin Bav 37 up are great for the med.

If you have settled on a 46, have a look at the Cruiser 46 as well. Owners of Bavarias seem to have strong views on wether they prefer the Vision or Cruiser models. Both great boats but totally different design concepts.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 08 2017, 18:59 »
I agree Craig, I have owned both 35 and 42 Cruisers and now my V 46. I have also sailed the Cruiser 45 (2012) in Australia on a charter but not the more recent 46 (although it is the same hull as the 45 but different topsides, I think), the 45 sails very well with the twin rudders, if a little touchy to reverse into a slip with out prop-wash.

For me the winning aspect for the Vision choice was the feeling of space down below. Since we were looking to liveaboard the number of sleeping cabins was not too critical so long as we could have at least one guest cabin. Also in my opinion the main saloon in a cruiser feels a little like "living in a dining room" since the main table seems to dominate the main cabin. In the Vision details like the ability to lower the main dining table and fold it to make a coffee table with loungers rather than having to sit round a fixed table all the time was one of the significant things that won the choice between the Vision and the Cruiser for us.

I agree that both styles are worthy of consideration and ultimately I think it will depend greatly on how one intends to use the boat and how many guests and frequency of same needs to be accommodated

Good luck to the OP in his/their choices
Ian

apickles

• Swab
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 30 2017, 05:05 »
Hi Kibo,
We liked the saloon seating and dining table arrangement on our Vision 46 that we have built an exact replica in our house in Italy, including a lifting and folding table.  Works as brilliant in a small house as in a boat.

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 07 2018, 12:29 »
I agree that the reason I really liked the Vision42 & 46 was the saloon layout. I previously had a 2003Bavaria 38. It sailed like a dream and felt so totally reassuring when caught in heavy weather. But I never liked the fact that one was always sitting at the table in the saloon. If the saloon layout was more like the Vision42 I would have  not bothered to change. But i love the Vision now i have it.

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: January 07 2018, 17:34 »
Maurice,

My wife and I purchased a Vision 46, delivered May 2016.  So far a great boat and we love it.  I solo sail the boat with perhaps 1% assistance from my wife so I setup the boat with this in mind.

The way you setup the boat will make all the difference.  For instance, winches:  standard is 3 manual.  I upgraded to 5, all electric and had Bavaria add controls so all 5 are controlled from the helm stations.  I did not choose the auto trim control, was told by owners and sales people that it was not 100%.  I almost upgraded to the 75HP, but was told by the salesman that the 55HP was very capable and he was right, gets to hull speed less than 2000RPM.  When the motor is required we sip fuel at 1600 to 1800 RPM going over 6 knots. also did not choose the bow/stern thruster, but did go with the bow thruster.  I did not have the Fisher Panda Gen-Set and was told by owners and salesman that they had too many issues, but did go with the 2000 Watt inverter.  I also upgraded to leather, only one head (electric) and two cabin layout for the better storage (only two of us).  We did opt for the gennaker, but in hindsight should have added later a top-down furled instead of the sock.  The rig is "semi" fractional and the headstay attachment is too close to the gennaker halyard causing issues with the gennaker.  We need to modify the mast to move the halyard (or add another halyard) for a top down furler. 

I do believe that it's all about the setup of the boat so if you want I can provide a spec sheet in excel.  Send me your email address if you would like a copy.

We too looked at both the Cruiser 46 and the Vision 46 and based on several reasons went with the Vision 46:  First, we liked the two cabin layout, one head.  I really liked the offset companionway; it made a big difference in the layout.  I also was concerned about maneuverability of the twin rudders.  The Vision has such a deep single rudder that I had no concerns with rounding up and I was right, the boat digs in and is stable, with no issues of rounding.  Mainly, our impression was that the Cruiser line was setup for Charter companies (or large families) and the Vision was setup for an Owner (couple) with a guest cabin.  But, since we tell everyone our boat only sleeps two, it is perfect for us. 

Stowage was also a big consideration and it is everywhere! Our bilge is bone dry so we can put anything we want in the bilge areas.  You can almost crawl in the bilge in the galley. 

The toilet (elegance) style is designed for a child, not an adult so I would suggest an upgrade if possible to an adult size seat.  This wasn't available so we will be upgrading ourselves.  We have upgrade other things, like AIS transceiver (Garmin 600), added touchscreen chart plotter.  Otherwise, we boat is as delivered and our "list" is very short.  Once we decide to take her to the Caribbean, we have a longer list but until then, the boat is perfect.

Hopefully this helps not only with your decision, but also during the setup / options selection process.

Good luck!

Stuart

Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 07 2018, 19:47 »
Stuart

Obviously I agree with all you said. Especially the comments about setting up for single or 1.1 handed !

One comment though.... we have the Selden top down furler for our Assym and it works fine. I was conversing via pm with a Vision 42 owner earlier who said he could not make his furler work due to proximity of the Spin halyard sheave on the mast and the Genoa furl system but we have been OK. Did you try it on your boat or were you just told this?  I haven't modified the sheave at all.

A backup comment to the genset. AVOID the Fisher Panda. it is under powered for the boat at only 4kW, is in a terrible location above the engine in the middle of the aft cabin hence is VERY noisy when we are inside. Ours "exploded" (heat exchanger burnt through) after only a few hundred hours. I threw it away and bought a Onan Cummins 7.5kW and located it in the aft locker under the cockpit. Can hardly hear it even when sitting right above it outside and almost silent when inside the saloon with aft cabin doors closed. It is powerful enough to run all 3 AC units if we wanted.
Ian

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: January 07 2018, 21:03 »
Ian,

I will need to speak with Selden directly about the top-down furler.  I do have the ICW mast, perhaps that's the difference.  I actually received a quote, ordered the top-down and when they measured they claimed the modification was required.  I currently have the mast down so I will be measuring and asking Selden directly. 

I was warned about the Fisher-Panda and you just confirmed their warnings.  I did listen to owners and salespeople when going through the list of options.  But the winches were a no-brainer.

Stuart
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 07 2018, 21:39 »
Hi Stuart,

That maybe it. I have the full size mast. I tried taking a photo of the top of the mast earlier but not great with an iPhone from deck level. Cant be bothered to climb it but if I need to go up for any reason I will measure it.

If you want to please send me an email from the recent messages and we can stay in touch that way too.

Cheers
Ian