Author Topic: Sump pump not working  (Read 1808 times)

ejessen

• Second Mate
  • 2001 Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
Sump pump not working
« on: January 01 2018, 02:48 »
On my 2001 Bavaria 40, one of the sump pumps stopped working. The boat has two heads, with sump pumps and the pump in the aft head is working just fine.

Did some troubleshooting earlier today and found that there is no voltage by the button right below the sink with will engage the pump. I checked for corrosion by the wires/terminal but that was not an issue.

So my question is : is there a fuse on that wire that I could check? Looked behind the electrical panel but didn't see anything there.

Any thought on why this wire has no voltage even though there is voltage at the pump in the other head?

-- Erik

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Sump pump not working
« Reply #1 on: January 01 2018, 14:49 »
I am not sure if there is a fuse since I don't have the same model of boat but I would expect the answer to be yes. I have fuses on my shower sump pumps.

Can you test the continuity of the wire from the power source to the pump? If you can find the ends of the wire that are connected to power and ground at the panel then disconnect them and join them together temporarily. Take your multimeter and check the resistance between the two ends at the pump. That will tell you if there is an open circuit or not. Then it will either be a fuse or it will be a break in the wire due to corrosion you probably cannot see. Given the age of your boat I would bet corrosion is a factor.

My advice is to rewire it if you can. Much simpler in the long run.

Good luck
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46