Author Topic: Frigoboat refrigerator stopped working  (Read 2430 times)

ejessen

• Second Mate
  • 2001 Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
Frigoboat refrigerator stopped working
« on: January 01 2018, 02:39 »
On my 2001 Bavaria 40 the refrigerator stopped working.

I am not sure if this refrigerator is the orignial but it is a : Frigoboat by Veco.

The two cooling fans run when the thermostat engages but it's not cooling.

Any ideas? Things to check before calling the professionals?

-- Erik

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Frigoboat refrigerator stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 01 2018, 09:19 »
happy new year Erik

the first thing to check is the compressor running? put your hand on it you should feel it vibrating. if it runs you are low on gas. if it doesnt run check that the battery is fully charged. the Danfoss compressor has a board that switches compressor off  when voltage is low.
the problem that i had in mine was the thermostat was faulty.

regards

http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/assets/assets/BD35%20BD50%20Fault%20Diagnosis.pdf

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: January 01 2018, 10:11 »
On my boat the refrigerant line from the compressor to the cooling plate within the fridge was rubbing against part of the wood work resulting in a leak and loss of gas. I took the entire refrigeration compressor and cooling plate to my local refrigeration engineering firm where they found the leak, sealed it with solder and re-gassed the system. That was about three years ago and the fridge has run satisfactorily since then. However, it was not cheap, costing something more than £200. The woodwork where the chafe occurred has been cut away and the area protected with foam rubber to prevent it from happening again.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 01 2018, 14:55 »
I had a similar problem at the start of my season a month ago. Fan was running but no cooling.

In my case the compressor was not running even when I changed the thermostat setting so I didn't think it was a gas problem. As suggested above check the compressor is running. If it is then it is likely to be low gas, if not.....

I checked all I could like voltage etc and all seemed OK. I called a pro and he replaced the circuit board  - all sorted.

Be prepared if it is the circuit board controller - they are not cheap..... I paid over $300 US but that was in Grenada so might be cheaper in larger markets.

Good luck
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46