Author Topic: Bav 30 Anchor Windlass  (Read 8043 times)

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Bav 30 Anchor Windlass
« on: September 16 2012, 16:53 »
My Bav 30 doesn't have a windlass, which I find a major disincentive to anchoring. Does anyone know what the factory-fit windlass would be? I imagine that would be the easiest to install.

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Bav 30 Anchor Windlass
« Reply #1 on: September 16 2012, 23:33 »
At the moment Bavaria are using QUICK 600watts ish.

Cdogg

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30C
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 17 2012, 08:26 »
My 2006 B30c came with a South Pacific VS1000. The installation seems straight forward and it is powered by a heavy-ish cable direct from the starter battery via an isolator switch and a fuse. I run the engine when winching.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 17 2012, 18:12 »
Your main problem will be the mounting. Bavaria's ordered without a factory fit had the mounting omitted,although I have read of owners who have fibreglassed a wooden mounting across the top of the anchor well moulding.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 17 2012, 23:00 »
It was principally the position and method of mounting that I was hoping would be more straightforward if I could use the same windlass as the factory. From what Moodymike says, that would seem to be a forlorn hope. I'll have a look at some South Pacific data and see if I can see how that would work out.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 23 2012, 10:26 »
Two possible ways of doing it. The first is to build in a platform similar to the factory fitted one. Have a look at a boat already done to see how it is done. This has the advantage of putting the windlass below decks. The second is to cut the anchor locker lid and glass in the aft part to form a platform on top of the deck to mount the windlass. Either way requires a lot of reinforcement to take the loads. You have a choice of vertical or horizontal windlasses - the latter needs more space fore and aft. My 37 uses a Lofrans Cayman, but that might be too big for your space. Lewmar and Lofrans are probably the best makes, although Quick is also popular.

Sandpiper

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: September 24 2012, 18:16 »
Clipper Marine at Woolverstone Marina had a Lewmar Pro windlass fitted to my 2003 Bav 32 when I bought it from them in March this year. They glassed-in a substantial shelf into the anchor locker and the windlass is fitted to that. We've used it a fair few times this season and it seems to work very well - there's still plenty of room for 50m of chain and the dreaded chain build up underneath the windlass only happens fairly infrequently and it's easy to clear.

Sorry I don't have a photo I can post.