Author Topic: 2008 B40 Hatch Dimensions  (Read 2630 times)

B40-Lefkas

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B40
  • Boat Year: 2008
2008 B40 Hatch Dimensions
« on: December 07 2017, 08:57 »
First off, thank you for resurrecting this website. I've been trying to log on for a while before find out the whole story. What a fabulous job Nigel did over the years.

I am hoping to fit a small split a/c unit in the forecabin of my B40 but the inside unit needs to fit through the small rectangular deck hatch. My boat is in Greece so I can't measure it and the fit is going to be very tight.  I believe that it's the Lewmar 54 based on chandlers websites but I'd like to be sure. The unit is 39,4 x 36 x 18 cm. I think the 18cm width will be very close as it needs another 1-2cm for the connecting hose.
Anyone onboard with a tape measure or a specification for the hatch?

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurom-caravan-motorhome-conditioner-portable/dp/B00SXK7H3M

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: 2008 B40 Hatch Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: December 07 2017, 20:02 »
hi
here is the supplier website for this unit very interesting. how you planning to position it inside?

http://www.coolmycamper.com/faqs/

i was considering running a portable unit which are much cheaper to purchase, easier to install as all you need to do is make a fake cover for the exhaust tube. ideally the proper dometic marine is best but pricing and complication of installing put me off

regards

Abby

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 07 2017, 21:12 »
Be carefull Bavaria doesn't use the standard Lewmar hatches but a slightly smaller sized version. For example on my boat a BAV 38 2003 the square hatches opening is 48 x 48 cm and the standard Lewmar 50 x 50 cm. The small rectangular ones are 48 x 18,5 cm. On one long side the 2 grooved blocks  for the clamping are fitted, which reduces the 18,5 cm to 17,5 cm. The blocks are 6 cm wide and are 32 cm apart. You have to consider also a radius in the corners of 4,5 cm.
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE SAME FOR A BAV 40 YEAR 2008.
Regards,
Ger

B40-Lefkas

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 08 2017, 11:05 »
Thank you Ger! I think it's going not fit by a couple of mm, I had forgotten about the hinges. I may be able to take the back off the unit to get it through, we'll see. I suspect the hatch is the same size as the BAV 40.
Abby: yes the unit has excellent reviews as compact, quiet and effective. The connecting tubing between the units is not detachable and is only 1 m long, so putting it through the forehatch it not a good solution. I was planning to hang it somehow in front of the port side lockers. If not then I may have to think about a proper marine unit but am not sure it's worth the expense.

Your comments much appreciated!