Author Topic: replacement LED cabin lights  (Read 6431 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
replacement LED cabin lights
« on: October 29 2017, 06:49 »
Initially I went to replace halogen/conventional bulbs in the cabin lights for LED. However problems with the switches and deterioration of the casings I decided to replace entire unit. I found on Ebay a very slim LED ceiling light with a heat sensitive switch. Installed these about 18 months ago and now find switch not working - sometimes comes on but never switches off - tried with cover on and cover off. Also when one light switched on other lights come on automatically! - even in different cabins, So looks like will have to replace all of them again! Anyone else had this problem with this product?

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: replacement LED cabin lights
« Reply #1 on: October 29 2017, 07:54 »
I fitted a set of these a few years back now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ODSDPF2/?th=1
Todate have been very pleased with them.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: October 29 2017, 08:58 »
Just like to say I have one of these in my cockpit enclosure and its brilliant,  recommend them.

I sewed a patch of velcro to the top, in the middle of enclosure roof over binnacle to 12v socket.

Read my book now in the dark no problem.

Hope this helps.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 29 2017, 11:56 »
I replaced all my cabin lights with the original Bavaria units but fitted with Led's. I bought these direct from the manufacturer  AAA Worldwide Enterprises in Taiwan . Half the price quoted by SVB.

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 31 2017, 09:42 »
Thanks for replies. So it seems I am the only one with this problem although I have 4 faulty lights on 2 circuits.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: October 31 2017, 14:55 »
Thanks for replies. So it seems I am the only one with this problem although I have 4 faulty lights on 2 circuits.

With respect, and I'm trying to be helpful rather than critical, it might be that you haven't explained your particular problem sufficiently clearly enough for others to be able to comment. For example you haven't included a picture of the light fitting, or its make and model information, although you do say they have a heat sensitive switch. I can't imagine why one would want a heat sensitive switch on a light fitting, though no doubt someone could answer that query.
I replaced the lights on my boat using a slim LED fitting at about the same time that you did yours. I don't recall offhand much about the lights I fitted which of course does not help you because you don't know if the lights I fitted are the same as yours or not, and neither do I. The lights I fitted were referred to elsewhere within the forum with the name "Dream Light or Lighting, it's approximately 3 inches across or around 80mm and is about 5mm in depth, but because I haven't given you any specific model number or designation, you still don't know if it's the same as yours. Each of my lights are individually switched and the switches when operated do not result in any other lights being turned on or off. And still you don't know if my lights are the same as yours or not, but a picture could do a lot to remove any doubt.
My guess, and it's only a guess is that perhaps you have a wiring fault somewhere resulting in some instability within the lighting circuits, or maybe the lights you have are a bit dodgy anyway. 

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #6 on: November 01 2017, 10:52 »
slim LED ceiling light with a heat sensitive switch. Installed these about 18 months ago and now find switch not working - sometimes comes on but never switches off - tried with cover on and cover off. Also when one light switched on other lights come on automatically! -

When you say 'heat sensitive' do you mean PIR?, i.e. do they come on automatically when you enter a cabin/saloon/heads etc?.
  Maybe, if that's the case, when one comes on it triggers some of the others...............just a thought............Bill

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 29 2017, 18:07 »
unable to load a photo - these lights are ultra slim and bright about 80mm diameter sold on ebay - no brand info- the "switch" is a sensitive spot on the outer case which makes contact with the circuit board inside for the light. Some lights don't switch on when pressed (I've checked to see outer ring is in correct position. others won't switch off. When the lighting circuit  is opened some lights go  on and then off etc. I spent a lot of money wanting all the lights to be the same - now I will have to change again       

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: November 30 2017, 09:45 »
I think what you described is a feature of some, but fortunately not the majority of low-cost 12v led fittings (as well as other electronic devices) available in ebay, aliexpress, dx or other such marketplaces.

My conservative tactics for buying electronics from such places is
  • by items you have afford to scrap if they don't work unless you have a reputable recommendation from friend / collague...
  • if buying multiple items, consider buying 1-3 as a first test-set

Can you track the circuit board and bypass the IR-switch? If the leds themselves are OK, you would have lights switching from single main panel switch

jaiojuan

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 07 2018, 19:17 »
Good afternoon, this is my first post although I have been following the old site for some time. Glad it is back!
In my Bav 39 CR I just replaced the original bulbs with these:

http://tienda.menoswatios.com/p/62/led-g4-lateral-menoswatios

I am in Valencia - Spain but you sure can find similar ones in the UK. Just make sure you order the right diameter. The result is excellent and you get even more light intensity and of course much lower consumption.

Regarding the light fixture in the galley and heads, this is what I just installed:

http://www.roulot.es/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1637/category_id,178/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,1/

Bought them in a roulot shop (much less expensive than a nautical chandler). Dimensions are 390 x 50 and produce a very similar light intensity. Super-easy to install.
Best regards  :kewl
Juan

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: January 08 2018, 05:57 »
unable to load a photo - these lights are ultra slim and bright about 80mm diameter sold on ebay - no brand info- the "switch" is a sensitive spot on the outer case which makes contact with the circuit board inside for the light. Some lights don't switch on when pressed (I've checked to see outer ring is in correct position. others won't switch off. When the lighting circuit  is opened some lights go  on and then off etc. I spent a lot of money wanting all the lights to be the same - now I will have to change again     

The fact that some of your lights don't switch on when the switch is pressed makes me wonder whether, when they were fitted, that you checked the wiring polarity. Most, if not all of the LEDs that I have fitted are polarity sensitive and will not switch on if, for example, you fit the positive wire to the negative terminal. However, I wonder if one light incorrectly fitted in regard to polarity might upset the workings of the others on the same circuit? Perhaps someone better versed in electronics could answer that question.

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 27 2018, 12:52 »
Thanks for the interest. Just to clarify all lights worked ok when fitted - no  polarity mistake. When returning to  the boat after some months the problems became evident. The seller has offered to take back the lights that are still boxed so some mitigation of loss possible.