Author Topic: Location of Raystar 120 on B41  (Read 2168 times)

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
Location of Raystar 120 on B41
« on: January 28 2018, 09:07 »
Does anyone know where the antenna is located.?please. I have a Garmin GPS 19x on the pushpit which is connected into a NDC4 multiplexer . This sends a signal to the Raymarine VHF but there is also an antenna plugged into the VHF which I suspect is the Raymarine Raystar. This cable disappears up behind the cupboards in front of the chart table. I don’t know if this is connected or doing anything
Can anyone help please
Graham

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Location of Raystar 120 on B41
« Reply #1 on: January 28 2018, 09:44 »
Surely the antenna cable plugged into the VHF is the antenna your VHF uses to transmit!
You say that your Garmin aerial is connected to an NDC4 multiplexer (whatever that is), and then leads on to your VHF, but are there any other wires connected to the multiplexer which lead off in some other direction away from your VHF. It would be unusual and probably counter productive to have two satellite antennas both connected to the VHF, but quite possibly the Garmin satellite antenna provides the signal to both your VHF and also to your chart plotter, and if the antenna you are talking about is connected into the same place as that used by your Garmin satellite aerial, then it's highly likely that it is this wire that connects to your chart plotter. Each instrument does not need its own dedicated satellite aerial, all it needs is a signal which it can use and share with other instruments, so maybe you don't have a Raystar satellite aerial.

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Location of Raystar 120 on B41
« Reply #2 on: January 28 2018, 16:18 »
The vhf is a Raymarine Ray 215e and it has three connections on the rear one is labelled antenna ,one Power/external speaker/ nmea  and the last one is for the handset. The nmea input gets a gps signal from the Actisense ndc-4 multiplexer . I just don’t know what the antenna cable is doing or if it is connected to the Raystar antenna . I have a booklet for the Raystar that was provided when I bought the boat so presumably there is one fitted somewhere at the end of this antenna cable. I would just like initially to try and locate this antenna