Author Topic: Vision 42 accessing head hoses  (Read 2836 times)

Kappy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision
  • Boat Year: 2015
Vision 42 accessing head hoses
« on: January 19 2018, 22:23 »
We have a leak when flushing our electric head.  We suspect it is coming from where water intake hose connects to the toilet.  But, we cannot get to it.  Has anyone figured out the best way to access the head hoses? 

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: Vision 42 accessing head hoses
« Reply #1 on: January 20 2018, 05:14 »
Hi Kappy
Don't have the electric system on our's, however I would think the hoses don't change as with the manual pump  on our V42. 2013
Panel next to the cupboard door, under the basin can be pushed out easy. Tap it from behind and it should pop out.
This will give you better access to the hose from the loo to holding tank.
Intake as you would know is through the floor hatch.

Cheers
Club 56

Kappy

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: January 24 2018, 05:12 »
Thank you Club 56 for your thoughts on this.  Cannot get to the hose from either route you suggest.  Suspect the leak is where the hose connects to the toilet and it isnt visible or reachable.  Dont know if we need to lift the toilet or lift the floorboard.  The floor hatch as you know is teeny tiny, just big enough to get our head in there to look around.  Thx again

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 24 2018, 06:48 »
One thing you can be sure of is that somebody had to connect that hose to the outlet from the pump in the first place, so there must be access to it sufficient to enable the existing hose to be removed and exchanged and for periodic maintenance. You say there is a floor hatch, so open it and check what can be accessed through it, you might find that it's not so difficult after all. You don't need to get your head through it, just your arm, so have a good grope around to find what you are after. Otherwise it may mean lifting the whole toilet. You have also mentioned lifting the floorboard, so ask yourself if there is provision already there to enable that floorboard to be lifted. If there is provision then lift it, but if there is none then leave it alone. Lastly, is it possible that access is provided from an adjoining space?
Once you have found the access point, keep in mind that removing a hose from a fitting can be a whole lot easier with very careful use of a heat gun. Do remember though that great care is needed with a heat gun, you don't want to melt any plastics or start a fire.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 24 2018, 14:19 »
I have Vision 46 but bound to be the same toilet I am sure.

I had the same issue. The leak was actually from the water pump in the toilet and I fixed it with a new impeller kit with new o ring. I replaced the impeller too. You have to take the toilet out to get behind it to access. Undo the mounting screws on the base and then you need to break the sealant around the back of the toilet holding it to the back wall. I carefully cut it with a sharp Stanley knife   It is just silicone so can easily be replaced after the job is done . It’s difficult but once the toilet is loose you can pull it forwards and spin it and acccess the rear. You will then need to undo the hose clamps to pull the toilet out so you can get at the pump and impeller. If it is the hose that is leaking it might work to just tighten the clamp but I would bet it is the pump itself

Edit: I also just remembered. It wasn’t the o ring seal that was leaking it was the shaft seal in the pump. This is a rubber u shape ring with a spring inside the base of the U to hold it tight to the shaft. It was the spring that had broken. Suggest you source a new one but I fixed it with a small piece of wire and epoxy adhesive since I was out here in the Caribbean. Check that shaft seal too once you have disassembled it  I did have an issue with the impeller too so I suggest you do replace that once the toilet is out so you don’t have to do it again later

Sorry to tell you but it is a bugger of a job good luck
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Kappy

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: January 26 2018, 23:42 »
Yes an on S/V Kibo, i suspect you have hot the nail on the head!  Ty for your response (and to everyone else)