Author Topic: Bavaria 43 genoa size  (Read 2732 times)

mahira

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 43 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Bavaria 43 genoa size
« on: July 31 2017, 20:52 »
Dear members, I own a 2009 Bav 43C. My genoa is a %135 one. I think it's too large, not easy to handle. I'm about to order a %120 genoa. What do you think? Will I have any performance issues or anything else? Thanks in advance  :)
You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however. Richard Bach

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 43 genoa size
« Reply #1 on: July 31 2017, 22:49 »
There has been a trend recently to reduce jib overlap. It can often improve windward performance, but you lose a bit of sail area downwind. Also reduces amount of effort to winch in.

Discuss the pros and cons with your sailmaker.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: August 01 2017, 11:23 »
What isn't easy to handle about it that would be easier with a only slightly smaller sail?

We're quite happy with our large Genoa. When replacing it, I went for the same size but added 5 pairs of telltales (and a foam luff for better shape when reefed). The telltales are essential in trimming it well, which is all about the car position going upwind (towable cars very helpful here), and when trimmed well, upwind performance is excellent. For downwind, we pole it out with a Selden telescopic pole. Bit of work, but the huge sail with the pole replaces an asym and is our main downwind sail. Wouldn't want it any smaller for that!

Newer Bavarias have smaller non-overlapping jibs, but that's a completely different setup with a much larger mainsail and different mast position to make up for it. If you just reduce Genoa size to below what it was designed for, you'll go slower in light airs.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: August 01 2017, 15:05 »
I have similar thoughts as mahira. Our B41(2003) is in Virgins where we live aboard 5 months each winter. Sailing is most of the time upwind with 15 to 20+ winds often too much for full genoa and a bit of hassle to tack. We do not have a pole so dowwind is mostly main out with gybe preventer, works fine.
Of course we're not racing.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 01 2017, 15:21 »
I went down to a 120% on my 49, and it doesn't go any slower.  I would recommend it.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: August 01 2017, 17:23 »
Again ..what is the difficulty you are experiencing?   Is the boat tending to round up to wind inducing too much weather helm?  If so then the issue is the main, not the head sail.  I also have a 135% because the boat is powered (probably 70%) by the head sail. I still reef down the main first before ever reducing head sail.

mahira

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 43 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 10 2017, 19:54 »
Dear all, thanks for your opinion...

Ricd, the main problem ise the overlapping... it'is so much and cause some trouble with the dinghy on board. Also I think that with a smaller one I can handle it a bit easier.

Yngmar, I will take your setup into consideration (especially the foam luff)
You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however. Richard Bach